Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Listen to the Wildlife Board meeting
The Utah Wildlife Board is meeting today to decide on fishing regulations for 2013. The meeting just began. You can listen online at http://real2.state.ut.us/RAMGEN/broadcast/dnr.rm. Here's a link to the agenda: http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings...agenda.pdf.
[signature]
Thanks Amy
[signature]
bassrods just spoke and his proposal seemed like a reasonable suggestion.
[signature]
I can't get it to open, what program are you using to open it?
[signature]
What did he talk about?
[signature]
Try using the latest version of RealPlayer. You can download it at http://www.real.com/.
[signature]
He proposed a statewide slot limit on bass (with the exception of Lake Powell and Fish Lake [#800000]Edit -- Oops, I typed Fish Lake when I meant to type Flaming Gorge[/#800000]). He will have to clarify what he proposed, but I believe it was to allow keeping one bass over 20" and five under 12".
[signature]
Real Player.
[signature]
Kudos to Cliff! He deserves a lot of credit for going to the meeting and presenting his proposal.
[signature]
Thanks Amy
[signature]
theory not THEROY

Theory is a [url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemplation"]contemplative[/url] and [url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason"]rational[/url] type of [url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstraction"]abstract[/url] or generalizing thinking, or the results of such thinking. Depending on the context, the results might for example include generalized explanations of how [url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_(philosophy)"]nature[/url] works, or even how divine or metaphysical matters are thought to work.

Theroy - the neighborhood drunk

always stirring the pot

dont hate on his proposal, cuz if it were to pass you would only be able to keep 5 under 12"
[signature]
RE "Yeah with no education backing that proposal at all it makes me laugh."

Perhaps, and if what Kent stated he said was accurate, I would not agree with the specifics of his proposed change, but it takes courage to stand before a RAC or the WB and get involved, instead of ranting on the internet, like he has done in the past and most of the complainers on here and elsewhere endlessly do.
[signature]
wow that would make a great login name, you could just about get away with posting anything here.[sly]

In Before the lock
[signature]

Back when I joined BFT, I think Theroy was the moderator. (seriously) I have no idea about his alcohol consumption however. I never met him.

I have known a "Theroy" or two and I thought Wilcats observation was hilarious. [cool]
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]
Yeah with no education backing that proposal at all it makes me laugh.
[/quote]

The only way to tell (to be educated) if a slot limit will improve to bass fishing is to experiment and try it in several selected waters and then study the results over a space of several years. All good ideas are untested and uneducated opinions at some point (so are all bad ideas). The only way to tell if it will work is to try it. The UDWR has been given the proposal to study the effects of a slot limit on bass if they chose. If the DWR puts a slot limit on some of the lakes and documents what happens to the size and quality of the bass, it will be a good thing. We will be educated on what a slot limit will do to the bass and if it improves the fishing then we can continue to use the slot and use it in more bodies of water. if it makes the fishing worse we can change the regulations and warn other wildlife agencies not to use a slot limit to manage bass. I am happy they experimented with Strawberry and put a slot on the cutthroats. I am certain they had no idea what effects it would have on the fish. But the slot seems to be working well at the Berry. Maybe it's time for us to be educated on what a slot limit will do to a population of bass in some of our waters.
Unless you can provide some reliable information from a scientific study showing the effects of a slot limit on bass in several bodies of water, your comment is an idiotic opinion and a personal attack on a good guy.
[signature]
[quote Highmth][quote TyeDyeTwins]
Yeah with no education backing that proposal at all it makes me laugh.
[/quote]

The only way to tell (to be educated) if a slot limit will improve to bass fishing is to experiment and try it in several selected waters and then study the results over a space of several years. All good ideas are untested and uneducated opinions at some point (so are all bad ideas). The only way to tell if it will work is to try it. The UDWR has been given the proposal to study the effects of a slot limit on bass if they chose. If the DWR puts a slot limit on some of the lakes and documents what happens to the size and quality of the bass, it will be a good thing. We will be educated on what a slot limit will do to the bass and if it improves the fishing then we can continue to use the slot and use it in more bodies of water. if it makes the fishing worse we can change the regulations and warn other wildlife agencies not to use a slot limit to manage bass. I am happy they experimented with Strawberry and put a slot on the cutthroats. I am certain they had no idea what effects it would have on the fish. But the slot seems to be working well at the Berry. Maybe it's time for us to be educated on what a slot limit will do to a population of bass in some of our waters.
Unless you can provide some reliable information from a scientific study showing the effects of a slot limit on bass in several bodies of water, your comment is an idiotic opinion and a personal attack on a good guy.[/quote]

I actually kinda agree with you there.....except that last part that is bolded and underlined.....Jordanelle has a slot limit.....and I think even Bassrods would agree that the bass size is down overall.

To me, and this is personal opinion here.....

The DWR and it's biologists are the ones that should be calling the shots on management of our waters. Just because you own a fishing pole, fish every weekend, and frequent a few areas.....DOES NOT make you the expert on the management of a fishery, let alone dictate the rules for everyone else to follow.
[signature]
I tried to read what you wrote, but you may need to look up the meaning of what a slot limit is..

Jordanelle does not have a slot limit now, it has a size limit..

And many other states have slot limits on lots of lakes from Texas to New York to California...

The slot I think would work, for most fisherman and what we purposed was from 14" to 20" all bass must be released but one over 20" and the rest of the limit under 14" or a limit of all under if thats all you can catch.. for all bass waters but Powell or the Gorge..

Oh yes the spear fishing boys was at the meeting as well
and like I said before they want to kill fish year round on all water of the state 24 hr a day...(even Fish Lake) like I said before...
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]He proposed a statewide slot limit on bass (with the exception of Lake Powell and Fish Lake). He will have to clarify what he proposed, but I believe it was to allow keeping one bass over 20" and five under 12".[/quote]

With the exception of fish lake? [crazy] I'm scratching my head real hard on this one. How about with the exception of bear lake, the uintas, the boulders, and dozens or maybe hundreds of other waters where NO bass should ever be? Something smells fishy here... [#BF0000]Kent edit: Sorry, I had a brain cramp and typed Fish Lake and meant to type Flaming Forge.[/#BF0000]
[signature]
[quote Wildcat94]theory not THEROY
. . .
[/quote]

Isn't Theroy the guy that wrote about a Golden Pond?
Maybe I'm Confused.....

[inline 523037_479540145399521_1071289081_n.jpg]

[inline 545415_480045495348986_551758299_n.jpg]
1st: Amy - thank you for taking the time to contribute to our forum. Anytime the DWR is willing to offer 'reel' information, forum members should be both grateful, and willing to demonstrate respect for the folks that govern and manage a resource we all cherish and enjoy.

2nd: I have taken the time to clean up the crap out of this post. I am going to unlock it, cuz I saw a lot of potential for some serious discussion about a topic that is important to many. I will "request" that users refrain from personal attacks or belittling of other members. Opinions welcome, attitudes can take a deep-6.

3rd: Kudos to Bassrods for taking the time to attend the meeting, and being willing to share his OPINION on how the bass-resources of the state could be improved.
But for the rest - it is a single persons opinion, it can/will be taken into consideration by the folks that DO have the science, research, and fisheries-biology behind them. They do the studies, the gill-netting, the surveys. ANY change in regs can be nothing more than an experiment. There are SO many variables that play into the long-term impact of regs, stocking, management - that no one can KNOW what the results will be down the line.
I didn't make the meeting - but - personally - would love to see both White Bass and TigerMusky added to the Cutler/Bear waters. But at most - I could suggest, dat don't make it happen!

and ya'll can be sure - I have more silly pix if I need 'em!
[center][inline 399763_477307742289428_1413142333_n.jpg]
[/center]