Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Burbot 11/01/2012
What a epic night of fishing with good friends Ben and Captain Ashley of Addictive Fishing. We fished around 4.5 hours boating 220 burbot 3 rainbows and 1 laker. When counting the fish we lost, "the boat" had a fish hooked every minute we fished. Talk about nonstop action! — [url "https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4790096878135.2193260.1467253943&type=1"][/url] In the last 7 trips he has boated over 700 fish. If you guys are looking to whack large quanitites, this is a trip you need to book!
[signature]
That Albino cat is a Ling-Whackin machine and has been for yrs !!! Its always a good trip with that captain !!! Too bad no else has the Balls to take their ship out at night and pick on the slimey buggers !! Just means more business for him ..
[signature]
Two weeks ago we caught 39 burbot. We went two weeks too early. EPIC!
[signature]
I remember once or twice catching that many fish before, but the 4 hours of cleaning them turned me off to it ......[Wink]
[signature]
Wow that one is a big fish... So how do you clean that many fish? I hear they are pretty good eating, but wow what a big job... Thanks for the story & pix...J
[signature]
Been there done that, Ashley's the man. How'd ya like the smell of all them lings? But they sure are good eat'in, congrate's on the killer trip, I'm jealeous.
[signature]
I have next weekend scheduled with Ashley and to say i'm excited would be the understatement of the year! This post is killing me. I hope next weekend is as good as yours.

If it is I may need to get a new deep freeze. I guess there is definitely worse things to worry about in life. He he he he he he. Come on Friday.
[signature]
Hope the weather holds out for you guys. Support to be a lot of that w word
going on.
[signature]
So, um, how about a link to this "Ashley" guys website or something... That looks pretty darn fun, and frankly, I'm about to lose my five year old as my fishing buddy because we've been skunked our last half-dozen trips. I think one more and she'll officially be done with me. This seems like it might be just the ticket.
[signature]
Try this

Www.flaminggorgefishing.com
[signature]
[url "http://www.flaminggorgefishin.com"]www.flaminggorgefishin.com[/url] is the site. check it out
[signature]
Not to step on anyone's toes but I would never pay for burbot fishing at the Gorge. If you have a boat you can go out and do really well by yourself... Burbot are some of the easier fish to catch, the pics are proof.

If you don't have a boat, just wait for ice season they are plenty easy to get through the ice too.

Glow twister jigs, glow tube jigs, spoons, dead stick rods, etc will all produce burbot and plenty of them. If you aren't catching them in one spot move around and you'll find em.

Now catching the big lakers is another story... it is not nearly as easy as filling coolers full of burbs...
[signature]
I just have it in my favorites and go there if I need need it. New it was something close.
[signature]
Honestly, what on earth could anyone do with that many fish? Are you really cleaning and eating that many fish? Unless I can turn them back, I don't want to catch them.
[signature]
I just got off the phone with Ashley and according to him he's boated over 900 burbs in the last 8 trips out. Thats 900 burbs not eating salmon this year. I can't think of another person besides the DWR thats doing more to help the salmon fishing at Flaming Gorge. That's why I'm willing to pay the money. I anderstand it's 1 of the easier fish to catch but if I can help out Flaming Gorge as a fishery I'm willing to make that small monetary donation. But that's just me.
[signature]
I agree with Wipermac I'm going with Ash Friday night should be a great time for a good cause I'm willing to cash in
[signature]
[quote WiperMac]I just got off the phone with Ashley and according to him he's boated over 900 burbs in the last 8 trips out. Thats 900 burbs not eating salmon this year. I can't think of another person besides the DWR thats doing more to help the salmon fishing at Flaming Gorge. That's why I'm willing to pay the money. I anderstand it's 1 of the easier fish to catch but if I can help out Flaming Gorge as a fishery I'm willing to make that small monetary donation. But that's just me.[/quote]

Well, to each their own. I commend him for taking so many of them out of there... but to me it would be like getting a guide to take you out and shoot a doe deer. I can do that by myself and I can catch a cooler full of burbot by myself too.

Like I said I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers but 900 burbot is a drop in the bucket. Not saying that it doesn't help...but there are millions of them in there and you don't need a stinkin guide to put you on them.[laugh]
[signature]
Tonight, instead of lobster scrambled eggs, I did poor man's lobster scrambled eggs, and it's amazing.

honestly, GO EAT MORE BURBOT! Friggan fantastic!
[signature]
900 burbot is a drop in the bucket??? Pretty big bucket! And you say there's "millions" of them. Your evidence or calculation of fish per mile or fish per cubic acre? I doubt that there's a thousand thousand. If there was, the accidental catch rate would be much higher.
[signature]
It was a "WAG". Wild assed guess.

But, the lake is 90 something miles long. You can catch 100 burbot a night in 4 hours. There are a lot of them in there, I know it and you know it... It would be easier to put a dent in them if more people were out there fishing for them... it's not hard to load up the coolers but right now we only have a handful of people (more like 1 guy) who targets them in the fall and they get fished in the winter but then after ice off harvest drops off substantially until ice up again.

Not trying to be controversial. It would be nice if more people had the balls to go out there at night and fish for them... it's not hard and you don't have to pay a guide to do it. That was my point.

And I'll repeat what I said earlier - catching a 40-50lb laker is hard work and takes skill and dedication. I totally understand and support you guys for guiding them. Catching 100 burbot a night takes fresh suckers and a tiny bit of effort.

I'll reiterate my main point: You don't need to hire a guide to get out there and harvest a mess of burbot and help the lake out. Get out there and do it on your own. But if you want to help out a good guy (Ashley) and give him some business I can't say it's a bad thing just want people to realize you don't have to fork over more money than you have to, to do it.

I guess if you are completely clueless about how to go about it hire the guide and once you learn the how and where go out and do it yourself.
[signature]