Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antifreeze through boat motor?
Do you guys run antifreeze through your motor (inboard or outboard) as part of winterizing it? I've got an outboard and I'm worried about the freeze coming up.
[signature]
I never have, I make sure it sits in the all the way down position to be sure its drained, but, thats all I do and have never had a problem. Maybe I have just been lucky
[signature]
Put it down and start it for 15 seconds you will be fine.
[signature]
I've heard that you shouldn't ever run your motor without water in it?
[signature]
[quote HATH]

I've heard that you shouldn't ever run your motor without water in it?

[/quote]

If that were true one could never use a boat in freezing weather. When it is cold, I always crank the outboard for about 15 seconds after removing it from the water to get any extra water out of the impeller.
[signature]
How do you crank it without it starting??
[signature]
I always disconnect my fuel line and let the motor run out of fuel while I am securing the boat to the trailer (boat is still in the water). However, often when I turn the key to clear the water out of the impeller the engine starts (apparently a little fuel was left behind) but that is no problem. Running the outboard for a few seconds, while out of the water, has never damaged any of my outboards (been doing it for years). I know many others do it the same way that I do.

If one is loading the boat in freezing conditions, one doesn't have any other options, that I am aware of, other than turning the outboard over a few times.
[signature]
I always suck antifreeze into my inboard motor for the winter. Keeps the rust from forming inside the block as well as protecting it from freezing.

Tite Lines
[signature]
I just did it. I just didn't squeeze my priming bulb at all, no fuel = no starting.
[signature]
For an outboard - no antifreeze necessary. It will wall drain out just fine. Just be sure the motor is all the way in the down position. If up, water can collect in the prop/hub, and crack it.

For an inboard, YES, pour in some antifreeze through various cooling system hoses after draining every possible part of the block, exhaust manifolds and risers. Same goes for prop/hub as with outboards. Down position - the bellows are most relaxed there anyway.

Water is an impeller's lubricant. The more the engine is cranked when the impeller is dry, the worse it is. If you just came out of the water, probably no big deal. But they can be ruined rather quickly if spun when completely dry. They are snug in their housing, high friction material, and they melt quickly (yes, I have experience with this [frown]).
[signature]