Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012-2013 Ice Fishing Contest
For those brave, bold, or stupid enough to Walk On Water during hard-deck season . . . there will be an Ice Fishing Challenge - as has been held in years past. This year I'll be running the contest.

You can view the rules, results, and general chit chat on the CONTEST board, look to [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=778759;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]THIS POST[/url] for information. I will post the RULES Monday, Nov 12th, and open for entries. Entries can be submitted starting Monday, and will "count" once payment is received.
The rules will basically be the same as last year, as far as what fish, and on how the scoring will run.

Look forward to another fun Ice-Season, hopefully Mama nature will cooperate and freeze our tushies off so we'll have some good solid edges!
About time for the changing of the guards - hang up the long poles, pull out the buckets, augers, sleds, jigger-totter, and of course the JawJacker!

Think small and catch big! Ice is nice - can't wait to "hear it sing"!

Look forward to those interested in joining the fun. May we have some good fun, friendly competition. I'll appreciate your support in keeping me honest (check my math! haha) and cooperating in the Challenge!

[center]Now bring on the harddeck!
[/center]
[signature]
I'll post a reply here as well.

Count me in!! I'm getting my game plan together already!!

Here fishy fishy!!
[signature]
i want in to just say where to pay
[signature]
PMs sent gents. The[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=780289;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"] rules are up[/url], open for entries.

You can visit the contest board for details. Send me a PM, or post a note, I'll send YOU a PM with payment details.

Paypal preferred, snail mail, or in person available by arrangement.
My backyard barometer is saying - "the ice cometh" - frozen floating sheet, tiz good! It's a start!

Be safe out there folks! Gotta survive to claim your prize!
Count me in. I'm excited about the panfish part of the contest. In the past it seems like the overall winner would come through with a nice Tiger Muskie to clinch the deal.Now I feel like there is a better chance for more of us to at least win something

Good luck to all --can't wait to see ya out on the ICE!
[signature]
can you send me a pm please thanks
[signature]
I would like to join this contest! I need more excuses to go play on the hard deck. Please send me the info.
[signature]
I would love more info it i could get it
Thanks for your time
[signature]
I'm in again this year if there's room -- please send me a PM.

I am taking no prisoners this year, and will slay many'a and many'a fish in the name of the South. Our defeat in the Trashfish Contest will not stand, man. If an elephant never forgets, then I'm a Wooly Mammoth.

PREPARE TO BE BOARDED.
[signature]
I've updated the 'standings' post with what I've got off Paypal and snailmail, though there's the one snail payment I need to tie to a BFT handle.

When you're ready - post a new thread on the CONTEST board - I'll put out a 'sample' for starters. Then just chill out and fish on!

Any questions, shoot me a line. Part of the game plan is to have multiple awards for different targets, and I like that. Maybe less pressure, more sharing the goodies. We'll see how it works out.
I'll make a point of at least getting in weekly updates, so you can count on 'by Monday' the standings should be current.

Current 'barometer' reading says - "it's coming"!

[inline "First Ice 2012.jpg"]
John M? Hey thats me .... sorry CS forgot to write my BFT handle.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
I found 6 inches of ice today in Utah. I'm not in but what are you guys waiting for[Tongue].
[signature]
I want in! Let me know.
[signature]
I would like the info.. im gunna blow some minds when i go drop the hammer on some wipers through the ice this year!
Just a shout out. We've had a lot of entrants sign up and "go green".
We've even had a couple nice entries posted up. No panfish yet, but first 20" trout is in the lineup.

Still waiting for confirmation from the following:

jazzperch2
Tyedyetwins
Eviltyedyetwin
BaileyBoys
flyfishinglover
wyoguy

So if you think you've sent your entry in - shoot me a pm. If you need the info on where to sent it, same story.

Think we're gonna see some lakes capping up real soon!
Just a note for you ice-crazy anglers. Contest is off to a roaring start with some nice looking entries posted up. Keep 'em coming, I'll keep 'em scoring!

Couple notes/suggestions on entries, just to clarify.

1. Take extra pictures. Fish get wiggly, lenses get blurry, winds blow EVERYTHING... it's your job to PROVE your entry, not mine to guess or assume...

2. Please print a clear banner, good idea to wrap it in plastic. Need to be able to read the year, and your BFT handle.

3. If you use a flexible ruler - make sure it's stretched tight. Wrinkles can add inches.

4. Remember to name the lake and date of your catch. You can keep one lake private, but you'll need to PM me the location, and I'll keep it in confidence.

5. Camera date - you don't actually have to have the date stamp turned on for your pictures. It's more that the file's creation date should reflect a current date, but really - the BFT banner is the real date stamp.
Don't want some old pix from past year's getting passed off as current, not that that would ever happen!

As this month/year ends I'll be awarding a prize for the current leader. So get your entries in before New Year's if you've got some.

Doing great, hope you're having fun out there, and be safe my friends!
Being my first season for ice fishing and inexperienced, I wasn't thinking about contests. But, after testing my MarCum LX-9, the only chance you guys can have is if late entries aren't allowed. But, if they are, then I would like to enter the contest. I also invite my competitors to fish with me and join me in cheating or at least it will seem like cheating when you see what this ice fishing finder can do. Though I put my fly fishing equipment away to get into fishing with lures and related equipment, I'll retrieve my flytying supplies to be able to match and fine tune what they're biting now that I've seen some examples of what's working.
[signature]
If it came to betting. I would put my money on knowledge of ice fishing and time on the water over relying on electronics.

Looks like a cool product and hope that you have fun with it. Just remember that just because you can see them doesn't mean that you can make them bite.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Then even more reason for me to enter this contest!

"... just because you can see them doesn't mean that you can make them bite."

I noticed that with the bluegill at Sandy Pond. They wouldn't even take it when I bumped them on the head with it! Not that I cared to catch those tiny fish, but at least I'm able to observe that it isn't working and know to not use up valuable time on the ice with a lure that needs to be changed for something new.

I've always wondered if fish don't like what I'm offering or if they aren't even in the area to see it. Now, I'll get feedback from the fish to know to change my lure or presentation. I think of it as a tool for learning faster.

Let's see if I can learn fast enough to win!
[signature]
Rather than endlessly telling us how great you are and how you own the latest, greatest and most expensive fish finder, why don't you just get out there and start fishing and show us how great you are? There is plenty of ice out there, what are you waiting for?
[signature]