Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antlerless youth elk in 44,45 and 52 help
I scouted hard on friday around bennett mountain around hill city. No luck and a lot of private land. I talked to a guy that told me about some elk around Glenns Ferry. I went there and saw some deer. Opening day me and my daughter was off to get her one. It was a good hunt without seeing any elk. We saw 2 outside the ear big bucks, a bunch of does, a big buck, 2 coyotes, 1 huge red fox, and a couple of cuvvies of partridge. Monday we went out again. we saw 1 outside the ear buck and two small bucks, 26 deer total up close and another coyote. I talked to a couple of people that said there have been elk in there. We walked every draw and really did not see much sign for elk. She has got deer the last three years but never hunted or seen an elk out in the wild. If anyone has some info to help me out let me know. She is a good hunter and has fun just when we see animals, but i want to put an elk in her scope. Thanks.
[signature]
i dont really know anything about those units but if i were in your situation where i hunt would depend on the weather. if you have snow in the area the elk are going to move down. in this case i would hunt near agriculture (preferably alfalfa.) that is close to high country. make sure the high country still looks elky! if there is no snow get up on top and make sure you have a good pair of bino's with you. glass the living crap out of everything. set up where the trees bottle neck between two draws and wait. these are natural funnels and the elk will use them to get back and forth to where they are going. i know that its not much help but any advise is better than none. good luck to you and your daughter and if she gets one make sure you post pictures.

oh and one more thing the biggest mistake i see people make when trying to kill elk down low around fields is they just go tromping out there trying to get close enough to get a shot. dont do it. if you need to get closer make sure you have some cover to try and close the distance. elk have very under rated eye site and they can pick you off a lot further than most people think. if you dont have any cover try to find where they are entering the area and set up on them the next day. make sure you get out there before sun up or sometime in the early afternoon and bring plenty of water and snacks.
[signature]
very good advice above... I've never hunted any of those units either, what I look for in a new unit is a piece of public ground hard too access, say either no roads or trails is a good place too start, most people are too lazy too walk more than 200 yards off the trail, also steep and thick is also a good bet, hope this helps, oh and a good map is a must.... some hard too get too areas that are thick and steep are places they have previously logged, the brush grows up nice and thick and also all the roads are closed into that area usually and if you can find the trails in the brush its rather easy walking.... good luck....
Matt
[signature]
Little late but you gotta stay on the south side of Bennett that time of year. I was out there every day just to watch the herds. Probably saw at least 500 head just north of the interstate outside king hill. Did you end up gettin anything?
[signature]
She did finally get one! We hunted hard and a lot of days. I spotted 4 elk at about 1 mile away. I don't have the best binos so I could not tell what they were. We drove around and thought we were on the same ridge that I thought I saw them. We walked for about an hour glassing and we found them bedded down. She has killed deer before and does not too excited. The elk had her flustered after all the walking and everything. But we brought it home.
[signature]