Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Answer to strawberry questions
A couple of you ask about a slow day at the berry. See the very good morning at the berry. in explanation, of the 72 between three of us, this time of the year we generally get between 60-80 fish each. Last yr. two of us got 82 - 86 each. the yr. before it was about the same #'s. same the yr. before that. We fish a white 2 1/2 inch white fat tube jig tipped with chub. We fish 14 ft. of water near weed lines and get fish most of the day. Several doubles per person counting the second rod. One guy this trip was new to the tube fishing and about noon he got his third fish. He got it because I saw his line go limp and yelled for him to set the hook. He responded that he just hit the weeds. Limp again, SET THE HOOK!!!! He did and fish on. When he had it in he said "is that what the bite is, I've had those all day" Told him that hooksets are free, and sometime it is a weed but not often. He toped out at 22, and I was getting worried. Learn to slow fish the white 2 1/2 inch fats and fish it near weeds, and 26 fish in a day will be very average to slow. We get alot of bows doing the same thing, and it works anywhere. Last trip to Scofield, two of us 51, 36. One was a 25 inch Tiger, 4 # 13 Oz on the dig. scale.
[signature]
What do you mean "slow fish" the tube. Are you just realling it in slow?
[signature]
Is this all from the shore or a boat I tried this last year and didn't do very well
[signature]
we fish from a boat and cast and reel it very slowly in a lift /drop motion. (kind of like lightning) keep it as close to the bottom or level you see fish on the finder, and take a good two to three min. to get it in. If you feel a weed, set the hook. ALWAYS keep a second pole just off the boat with the jig just out of sight. Alot of fish come on the second rod, because there is almost always a second fish following a hooked one. If you miss the hookset, let it drop and continue to lift and fall. They will almost always hit it all the way to the boat no matter how many times you miss them. It works.
[signature]
That's what I thought. It's pretty much how I have been doing it. On your second pole are you just drifting it directly under the boat while working the pole your casting.?
[signature]
dead eye, that is exactley what we do. It really works.
[signature]
Great tip. I've just started honing my tube jig techniques and I had a lot of success last week with a tube and a worm.

My question is about the chub.

In my experience, when I have chub meat it doesn't much matter what it is on, I catch a lot of fish -- at Strawberry or Scofield.

My problem has been not having the chub meat to start with. I've never targeted them.

How are you catching them?
[signature]