Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite spinning rod
I'm a true novice compared to most of you, and I've always purchased cheap rods for my spinning reels like the Whoopin Stick or Ugly Stick. After reading many of your posts here I decided to buy myself a Pflueger President reel, and now I'd like to find a nice rod to put it on for Xmas to me. I plan to use it from the toon and would like a good feel for what the lure is doing but still able to let line out and troll light tackle when I get lazy. I like the feel of the split grips but imagine they are tougher to use on a toon.

Any advice? What do you guys/gals like to use?
[signature]
I have a fenwick that I got a good deal on at sportsmans and I like it enough, it has good sensitivity and not too expensive, have one loomis that I love. Basically you get what you pay for. The cheaper rods aren't bad tho, I still have the first rod I bought for myself a few years ago(mitchel combo at wally world). I'm sure any rod you spend more money on will be a good rod IMO.
[signature]
My 2 choices would be a
Fenwick 1pc hmg 6ft6 mh or a abu garcia veritas 1pc 7ft mh
These rods can handle panfish to bass and will last a long time if cared for..
[signature]
GLoomis, any one.
[signature]
Honestly i have owned expensive rods and the only really noticeable difference to me is I tend to get ALOT more Angry when I accidentally shut an expensive one in the tailgate or shut in a door. nice reels are a big deal to me that really the functioning part of your rig. but for me... I have a fine collection of ugly sticks ranging from ultra light to medium heavy. and its no problem for me to be successful catching the little pan fish and perch to wipers and even a few macs here and there (just gotta grab the right rod)
[quote redneck_delux]Honestly i have owned expensive rods and the only really noticeable difference to me is I tend to get ALOT more Angry when I accidentally shut an expensive one in the tailgate or shut in a door.[/quote]

This made me chuckle, mainly because truer words have never been spoken. If you want to spend more on rods, buy a whole bunch of Ugly Sticks. Agreed on the reel being the more important of the two to invest more money in.
[signature]
I am really happy with my Fenwick HMG, Shimano Compre, and St Croix Premier. They are all great rods. I don't really agree on all this Ugly Stick stuff. If you like a floppy pool cue, then have at it. I dust mine off for catfish fishing every now and then. If you want something light and sensitive though, you need to pay a little more for it.
[signature]
A couple of months ago, I picked up a Quantum QX36 and LOVE IT! It costs even less than an Ugly Stik (about $30), it's light, IM7 graphite, stiff tip that transmits lure movement and strikes really well, fighting butt, and an all around good feel with my Pfleuger President.[shocked]

The one I've got is a 1-piece, so that might change some minds, one way or the other. I love feeling every tap on my jig though, or feeling the blade bite the water as it spins. Good stuff.

I can't own high end gear, so it's a perfect match for now. All my stuff finds a magic way of getting destroyed within a few months.

For $30, I can't think of a better rod, having used it for a little while now.

Now for a little more, St. Croix has some great options. The Triumph is great for around $70 and the Premier is probably even better at around $90, I think.

G-Loomis makes some really slick rods that some buddies of mine swear by, but I'll wait until I can take care of my babies better before I fork out the $250.
[signature]
There is a huge difference between quality rods and low quality and particularly when comparing carbon fiber to materials often used in inexpensive rods. But, a high quality high performance rod doesn't need to be expensive.

I have some medium price rods in IM8 yet my favorite rod is a $15 * Cabela's Tourney Trail IM7 carbon fiber ten foot two piece, but I have them in the whole range of actions and powers and lengths since I like them that much. I had one really bent a lot for the fish in the picture and it handled that fight well. (* That was a sale price of a very good sale and it's normally much more expensive yet still cheap compared to the expensive rods. Look for good deals there early Friday morning.)

But, I fish with dozens of different rods most often as my second rod.

Ronald Smile
[signature]
I have always been partial to higher end team diawa rods- super sensitive and comfortable... 6.6 garcia veritas mh is an amazing jig rod for me as well... another great rod for a cheap price is the Garcia vengeance- love mine ! Sensitive but beefy and for around 50$
Can't complain!
[signature]
[font "Calibri"][/font]My recommendation would be to go down to Sportsmen’s and do the drag test. Pick up two rods off the shelf and while walking backwards drag the tip on the short shag carpet and see which one has better sensitivity and rod tip feedback. Put the lesser of the two back on the shelf, grab another rod and repeat till you find the best one for you. I had full intentions of buying a new G loomis that day. By doing this very simple test I saved over $200.

[font "Calibri"][/font]The rod I felt was the best bang for my dollar was the Finwick Eagle GT 6’6” medium matched with the Pfleuger Arbor reel. With the money saved I bought this combo twice.[cool]

Others may have different ways of testing and I’d love to hear them all!
[signature]
ugly stick pro light med action 7ft best all around rod for big game. lacks a little sensitivity but great casting. You can load these rods with all you've got and really send it. And the best part is if you should ever break it... walmart is really good at giving you a brand new one no questions asked.
[signature]
Thanks for all the feedback folks. Love that so many of you were willing to give me a little advice.
[signature]