Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heading up North for Thanksgiving...
Hey everybody...

We are heading up North to home for Thanksgiving, and I was hoping to hit some local waters for old times sake. I was wondering if anyone has any current effective stretches/patterns on either the Ogden, lower Weber, or lower Provo...I will have my teenage niece with me, so I'd like her to get into some fish on-the-fly somewhere. I assume the usual winter patterns will still produce fish this time of year, just kind of looking for ideas on sections that may be producing better than others.

I know that the rivers have changed a lot since I was a teenager, as far as production...used to be 50+ fish days on the lower Provo with nice quality as well...we also used to kill the browns in the Ogden during this time of year with the globugs, and I'll always remember the fun of catching 100+ whities on the Weeb with an occasional brown or cutt.

Anyways...just looking for some current fishing trends, anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Rich
[signature]
Those glory days are behind us but the same flies/stretches will work.

Start with some familiar places but be ready to move to another place soon if they don't produce.

FWIW I was killing them on a griffiths gnat the other day. At the end of the drift let it drag in the current for a few seconds. Then retrieve it for ten feet or so before you pick it up to re-cast.
[signature]
Thanks for the response OldTroller...I appreciate it. We ended up going up the Weber to Taggart and Croydon. The fishing wasn't spectacular, but there was enough action to keep my teenage nephew and niece interested. The presence of large schools of whities kept them at attention, although they were very picky and skitish. I managed two browns, one 17" and one 14"...along with four fat whities. All 6 fish fell victim to a red San Juan...first time that I can remember catching whities on San Juans, lol. It just felt good to be back on home waters and spend some quality time with family. I have a couple pics on my phone, but none of the fish were good enough to warrant my time on downloading them.

The Weber was packed, reminding me just how many people fly fish up there now days. Makes it hard to find a quality hole, especially when the water is so skinny. All in all, a beautiful morning though.

-Rich
[signature]