Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refuge
Hit the refuge early. Greeted a thin layer of ice almost covering the pond I chose to hunt. Cold. Again another sort of abysmal day. VERY few birds. However a lot of new birds. I started the morning with a double on 2 Drake Pinnies set on the dekes. Fine fasion to start the morning. A couple of mallards showed up next. I could only convince one Drake to settle very nicely in my kill zone. 3 shots 3 ducks... Hmm...

After a couple of cups of coffee, it was that time of the morning.... Off go the waders. A moment or 2 later the whistling of wings as well as the even finer sound of whistling Wigeons committing to my dekes... Eek... 10 feet from my gun... Oh well. I calmly put my waders halfway back on... The birds are still there... One or 2 of the birds even start to dabble... Must be 30 Wigeons in the dekes..

I slowly walk over to my gun, that gets there attention. Not timely enough for 2 of the lot... I made it to my gun to get a pair of drakes. 5 for 5 on the shooting all remarkably easy shots, but I still usually miss a few. Should have been much worse with as few ducks moving, but beggars cannot be choosers. Lots of swan hunters in today as well.

I had my Pinnies early, but passed on 2 more sets, one set even splashed in the decoys. Only to get barked off by the dog. Fun.
[signature]
Right on. Nothing like the call of the wild to get the birds to come in!
[signature]
Very nice!

I was minding my business on the opener while doing my business when a drake mallard decided to drop into the decoys, gun comes off my shoulder in time to make a good couple whiffs, replace gun, shake off waders, suit back up.
[signature]
It's the drying off of the waders....... Marsh mud is not a lot worse, but.... Well you know.

I have never seen that many ducks hold so still for that long with me staring at them. I would have tripled, but I was still in shock, and not completely put back together from my business.
[signature]
Nice job on your shooting!!! Love it when Nature calls. Never leave your weapon thats when hunting always gets good. Birds seem to always start to fly when you got to take care of bussiness or big buck steps out from behind the tree. OH FUN TIMES!!!
[signature]