Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 Changes & New Fishing Toy
Sharing the info....

Watching Rough-in It Outdoors Saturday night the show mentioned that three flies or hooks on one line will be legal after Jan 1st... so I believe three ice fishing jigs per line might become the new goto setup for 2013..

Also saw in the In-Fisherman magazine new gadgets -a New fish finder (new to me) from Hummingbird call the Hummingbird 360 [url "http://www.humminbird.com/360imaging/"]http://www.humminbird.com/360imaging/[/url]

Infisherman said the cost of the 360 was $1999... [crazy]
[signature]
Holy expensive but that is awesome! hope it gets you the biguns. and thanks for sharing the info about the 3rd hook on the rig
Already have a few "tippet" rigs tied up for ice. A couple with two jigs and a couple more with three.

I typically mix things up with a heavier jig on the bottom, a teardrop on the first dropper and (this year) a regular small nymph on the top. I tie the tippet with a loop at the top that I can attach to a snap on my regular line.

I tie these rigs up on fluorocarbon and store them separately in small baggies. No messing with trying to tie knots with cold fingers on the lake, and having a few different color options ready to go helps, too.
[signature]
Man that is a good idea. I hate trying to tie knots on light line with frozen fingers. Having them pre-tied will cut down on the number of knots I have to tie in the cold.
[signature]
I bought a Worm Harness a couple of weeks ago at wallmart I believe and It has 3 hooks on it. I thought that was interesting as it would be illegal to use right now wouldn't it?.
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]I personally won’t tie on more then one hook when ice fishing because inevitably one of the two or now three will get hung up on the edge of your hole. That happens and it’s bye bye fish. Been there, done that![/font]
[signature]
The real bugger is that you have to have a head unit that is compatible AND the 360 add on unit. $3000 no less for the whole set up...
[signature]
[quote WiperMac][font "Calibri"]I personally won’t tie on more then one hook when ice fishing because inevitably one of the two or now three will get hung up on the edge of your hole. That happens and it’s bye bye fish. Been there, done that![/font][/quote]

+1
[signature]
I was just reading about that FF too - holy carp batman! Pretty awesome features. Not only side/down scanning but forward scanning.

From what they described - it'll scan standing still - and you can scan ahead of water you haven't even travelled over. Mentioned how you could map an area, set your waypoints over stumps, ledges - xmas trees!
They you can approach that area and have casting spots marked without travelling over.

Of note - just cuz they sell it here don't mean it's legal to use here. Forget the brand - but there's these hook rigs that have like 7 hooks on a string, and are made with real fish skin or scales. Not exactly Utah Kosher for angling, but shiny and sparkly all the same.
Lures can already have 3 hooks.
[signature]
In salt water, they use a "sabiki rig" that has from six to ten small but extremely sharp hooks, each dressed with beads, sparkly tails and such. They are used to catch a grundle of bait fish.

As luck would have it, I found a six-hook sabiki rig while fishing the Gulf this summer and brought it home. I've already cut it into two three-hook rigs and I intend to try it out on crappie in the spring.
[signature]
Agreed, been running crawler harnesses with three hooks for years. The whole harness is the lure.
[signature]
Holy Alabama rigs! Strawberry, Willard, Pineview, Powell, Scofield... just to name a few.

[signature]
Looks like Hummingbird is trying to one up Lowrance, that forward scan looks hot.[Smile]
[signature]
[quote Fishrmn]Lures can already have 3 hooks.[/quote]

Just to clarify for everyone, a SINGLE lure (a rapala for example) can have up to 3 hooks on it. A treble hook counts as a single hook. So you could have 3 treble hooks on ONE lure.

But the number of LURES/FLIES/JIGS etc. on a single line is different. Per current regs, you can only have TWO lures/flies/jigs on a single line. Page 9 of the 2012 proc:

No line may have attached to it more than two baited hooks, two artificial flies or two artificial lures. The only exceptions to this rule are if you’re using a setline or you’re fishing at Flaming Gorge Reservoir or Lake Powell. Please see page 11 of this guide for more information about fishing with a setline. Information about fishing at Flam- ing Gorge is available on page 24, and information about fishing at Lake Powell is available on page 26.
[signature]