Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honkers Down!
Got a call from a friend with landowner connections up north last night, geese were in! Cancel work, homework can wait, where's my stomper shells?

Set up in a cow pasture where geese have been known to hang out and waited. and waited. 8:30 and no geese, huh. Unannounced 20 birds showed up dropping fast into our dave smith honker spread dropping into the kill hole. Wait for it... KILL EM! Crunched the first with my first shell, rocked a big honker on the second and third sailing him out onto the distant pond, we went and found him later. My two buddies choked dropping one between them, bummer!

We waited around another hour with no birds moving. Then there was a single locked in and coming fast. The guy that whiffed all three shots got this one. It landed and he sat up and crunched him. BANDED! what a jerk.
[inline downsized_1213121100a.jpg]
[inline downsized_1213121059.jpg]
[signature]
nice hunt man i hope to get into some soon
[signature]
Very nice!
[signature]
looks like a great time, AND looks like you got some jewelry out of the deal too! cant wait till i can make it back out again
Got a trip planned to Idaho late next week for 4 days to hunt the geese. It is an annual trip with family that live up there, I always look fwd to it. I haven't had a chance to use my new gun on the geese yet, killed some pheasant and mallards in WY. with it last month. It is a Winchester SX3 and I love it. Thanks for posting pictures.[cool]
[signature]
well done!
[signature]
I just bought an sx3 this year too... absolutely love it! just dont put a kicks choke on it... i loved that choke on my mossberg so i ordered one for my sx3 and i think i will stick with the invector + .....
I was happy to get rid of my old Benelli Nova, it was a heavy old bugger and not worth a damn to lug around for upland game. I haven't changed the choke in my SX3, I'll try the Modified choke that came with it first. If you find something that works good with steel shot for geese at ranges over 40 yards let me know. I'm trying out some heavy metal shells this year, I haven't patterned them yet so I'm not sure how they will work. Have a great day and good luck with the SX3.[cool]
[signature]
I shot these geese with hevi metal shells, it works ok but my Franchi I-12 auto doesn't like them much, they're the only shells it's ever hung up on.

The best I've ever used on geese was hevi-shot (the $20 for 10 ones), that stuff dumps geese hard! Still gotta hit your shots though and in Canada we use winchester BB shot and it dumps them plenty dead!

By the way, I shoot a patternmaster and it seems to do real well with anything bigger than a 2
[signature]
Seems like there are lots of Geese in SL County and the Counties to the North. We have found some here in Utah County, but it hasn't gotten epic yet on our hotspots yet.

Glad that you got 'em. Thanks for sharing the pics
[signature]
I haven't fired them thru my gun yet but when I first bought the gun last spring I put a 2 3/4in, a 3in. and a 3 1/2 inch Federal shell in and fired the gun as fast as I could squeeze the trigger and they fed thru great. When I was shooting ducks and pheasant in WY. last month at temps below zero and the gun never missed a lick with the 2 3/4 in. and 3 in. shells I was shooting. I'm really looking forward to using the gun on some geese this next week. I would like a nice honker for Christmas dinner.[Smile]
[signature]