Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8" vs 10" auger?
what are the pros and cons? is the weight worth the difference on a power auge?r
[signature]
Just my two cents, but I think 10 inch augers should not exist. I have stepped through the holes and gone in to my thigh a couple of times. A kid under the age of 8 could practically fit through the hole. I hate 10 inch augers.
[signature]
I appreciate that comment because I do have young kids
[signature]
Id just go with a 8". It will save more legs from getting soaked.
[signature]
just my two cents it really doesnt matter what size, if you step in a hole your going to get wet...
when ice fishing you need to keep a sence of where you are walking
trips to the er are not fun either as i have gotten older i seem to watch out for those holes and stear clear of them.
like i said just my two cents
[signature]
I have fished thru the ice for many years and have yet to catch a fish I could not pull through an 8 inch hole.
[signature]
If I'm doing the work with a hand auger, 8 inches. If I've got an engine doing the work, it's 10 inches in my book.

And my kids have grown up around 10 inch holes without incident.
[signature]
Simple physics larger drill size more surface area that need to be drilled. So a 8" hole hole is going to drill faster with less power = less gas. Considering they use the same engines whether it 8" & 10" that's less wear and tear on the engine.

Plus 10" replacement blades range from 30 to 40 bucks were 8' are 20 to 30 depending on the brand you choose.

Id go 8" Ive even switch to a 6 inch hand auger and have no trouble with bring fish up through a 6 inch hole.
[signature]
Go with a 10...better visibility in shallow water - you can punch 5 holes and see everything.
[signature]
I use a 10".....and wouldn't buy another 8". I've had at least 2 fish that filled the 10" hole and know I wouldn't have gotten it through an 8". Probably not an issue most of the time.... but when it matters it makes a big difference. All depends on what you're targeting or expecting to catch I guess.
[signature]
I fish the ten. First ice not much deference. If you fish for pan fish or for the big boys is the question. If you must get the fish to swim up into the hole to land it. Later in the season it is an advantage. They are slower to drill but nice to have when it counts.

icesore
[signature]
I also prefer a 10 inch hole. It is definetly easier to get a big fishes head turned into a 10 inch hole vs an 8. If you are not in a hut and it is cold out, in a couple hours you are usually fishing out of an 8 inch hole when it starts freezing in. If you start with and 8 you got a 6 inch hole. My two cents.........Fishon
[signature]
36 inch Mackinaw through 38 inches of ice. Wouldn't wanna try getting one like that through an 8 inch hole.
[signature]
i feel like if you have a hand auger with sharp blades that cuts fast then there is no reason to get a power auger, they are heavier, noisier, and take fuel i kno wits not much but its something.
[signature]
IMO the only thing that really matters is what you're going to fish for. If you're fishing the typical Wasatch Front lake you aren't likely to need anything bigger than a 6" hole. But if you fish Flaming Gorge, Fish Lake or perhaps Pineview and are targeting the large fish you better have a 10" auger. Then again if you are fishing for the typical trout or panfish and have an 8" auger then for some reason you decide to try the Gorge you can drill two or three holes next to each other for the larger fish to fit through so long as you are under the 18" max for that lake.
[signature]
Musky - what did you decide? Just curious.
[signature]
I went with the Jiffy propane 8 inch. I have never needed anything larger than 8 inches and we also take take out lots of little ones with us.
[signature]
Great choice - the Jiffy Pro 4 is awesome! - you won't be disappointed.
[signature]
Bought the same thing on Veterans Day. Haven't used it yet, but will very soon. I have friends that own the 71 CC Eskimo, and I have used it with them. They are nice, because the engine is large and can handle thick ice easily.

For me, I wanted the propane. With the engine size the same on the Jiffy, I went with an 8". For most the time, it will be what I need. For the other times, I will use / go with my friends that have the 10".[Wink]
[signature]
Nils Master 8" hand auger. Weighs less than 10 lbs and I can cut a hole faster than a power auger. You'll have to get it online.

Those who own one will agree. Power auger worshippers obviously won't. Many Utahns end up with power augers because almost every single sporting goods store in the state stocks those garbage Eskimo hand augers, limiting their options. After a few trips struggling to cut through a foot of ice, folks upgrade to a power auger. Promise.

A quick search of this forum will tell you all you need to know.
[signature]