Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mackay Report-Sat
For those that just want the ice conditions...5-6" of good ice on Sat.

I went fishing at Mackay with my neighbor his kids and my oldest son. It was bitter cold in the morning so it took us a while to set up the ice houses and get going.

We fished from 9:00-4:30PM. Overall it was a very slow day. It seemed like there were plenty of fish on the Vexilar most of the time they just wouldn't bite. We had several schools of Kokanee swim through without even stopping to say hello. Everyone caught a few fish, but it was never fast. Most of the fish were small 9" rainbows. I did get one beautiful rainbow that was 20." About 2:00 I got the Kokanee to open up their mouths just a little bit. They wouldn't hit the pink swedish pimples or the rat finkies of years past. surprisingly enough the only thing I could get them to take was a 1/32oz pink paddle bug. I had to really concentrate to see the take but I managed to land a limit of small kokes.

The ice was so clear in places you could see fish under the ice like an aquarium. Overall it was the slowest I have ever seen Mackay, but the kids still had a good time and everyone caught some fish. It was just anything but easy this time.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Quite a few limits of koke have fallen to that pink paddle bug. I like to put a little spoon flasher a few inches above one when I'm working kokes.
[signature]
Nice to hear you found a few to bite!
[signature]