Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Monsters (report)
First of all, a big thanks to BLM for the tips on fishing the mack spawn. He is right, there is a definite technique to catching these monsters--you can't just throw anything and expect to land fish (I know from getting skunked many times). Anyway, the wife and I braved the elements on Halloween and headed up to bear lake at 2pm. We arrived at the marina at 3:30, suited up (gortex snomobile suits, sorels, and parkas) and were fishing by 4. What a beautifull day for fishing-it was snowing, the wind was blowing about 15mph sending waves crashing into the rocks and splashing into our feet and legs, but we stayed dry as a bone, and very comfortable considering the conditions. I rigged up the wife and she made the first cast but when she went to reel in there was nothing on the end of the line. We were only using 6lb and I think she must have held on to the line too long and her gloved finger cut the line. I have learned the hard way DO NOT GET MAD WHEN THE WIFE MESSES UP, just be thankfull she is fishing with you--so I faked a laugh and dug out another $4 lure and rigged her up again. We both started fishing and after a few casts I had the first hit of the day- a 10lber that took ten minutes to land, what a nice looking fish--see pic attached. at 10lbs 32" it was my biggest fish ever. It took a few minutes to revive her but she was released safely. A few minutes later I had another fish on, this time a nice 6lber. Now I'm having mixed emotions because I have 2 fish and she has none, so I insist that we switch poles and she can use the lucky one for a while. A few minutes later, BAM, she has a fish on--it was the highlight of the trip watching her try and bring it in--it was another male just under 6lbs see pic attached. A few minutes later she has another one -this time a bigger one. It took 15 minutes to get this one in--with the 6lb test we set the drag very light. This was a 7lb 27" and I went to take a picture but my camera got snow in it and broke-the only bad thing about this trip. Half an hour later I landed another monster--11lbs 33" but could not take a picture as the camera was broke. By then it was getting dark and time to head back. We kept the too smallest fish as the neighbors have been begging us for some fish--although after reading about how long it takes for them to get big like that I wish we would have released them all. It took us 2 hours to drive home through the blizzard in the canyon, but it was a nice time to reflect on the best fishing trip we have had. Now I have to look at getting a new camera-Inkleys wanted $320 to fix it and its only worth about $100--does anybody have info on water resistant cameras. My research has turned up the Pentax Optio 33WR as a possible choice. Any help on this issue is much appreciated. pm me for questions on what we were using.
[signature]
WOW those are some great fish. looks like it was pretty chilly. what were you fishing with? chiken
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Good to see you had a good time and caught a few fish. Also very glad you decided to release the larger fish. Those bigger fish are why people go to Bear Lake. From the reports I've heard, there have been several large fish harvested throughout the spawn, several in the not so legal method of snagging. May god have pitty on their souls if I see them![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Watch out, those fish will get in your blood and the porta-boat will need to be replaced for a big water boat! HA! Congrats on your success![/size][/font]
[signature]
Congratulations on catching some fine fish. At first I was afraid that I was going to read that you went out on Bear Lake in your Portaboat. And if you can get your wife to go fishing with ya, especially in those conditions, one lost lure is an extremely small price to pay.
[signature]
I'm totally jellous!!! Nice fish and way to go letting your wife in on the action. I've been wanting to get out there to Bear Lake for a long time and I don't see getting out there til late Nov. AAARRG. I want some big fish!
[signature]
For those of you who haven't met BLM (let's just say he has the size to back up any threats that he makes), I sure wouldn't want to be the one he caught snagging and keeping those beautiful huge macks. For those who don't know me, I won't keep large Bear Lake macks, foul hooked or otherwise.
[signature]
Nice Post P.-H.: By the looks of things you were fishing near the Marina, Was nice to "see" the lady brave the cold; some (woman) wouldn't care whats biting they arn't going fishing. Great to see you had some action! Oh by the way, great pics too.
[signature]
[url "http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/outpdir.jsp?doSearch=y&search=waterproof%20digital%20cameras"]http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/outpdir.jsp?doSearch=y&search=waterproof%20digital%20cameras[/url]

[size 2]Here is a link on a varity of [#ff0000]waterproof[/#ff0000] digital cameras from $100 and up.[/size]

[size 2]Loved the fish and am drooling for the opportunity to hit the Bear, Nov 15th is rapidly approaching.[/size]
[signature]
way to go!!!! nice fish and the best part is you took your wife. It's nice to have your best friend fishing with you . I know I do. whats funny is that my wife is set up for the cold just like yours same coat bibs and all. (she also loses lures for me too)but it's all good way to go.
[signature]
Great report, I haven't heard a report of anyone fishing from shore doing as good as you did since the spawn started. You should feel real lucky that your wife would go with you fishing in those conditions, I'm lucky to even get my wife in my boat when the weather is perfect. WH2
[signature]
GREAT REPORT & GREAT PICS ! ! ! !

[blush]

sm
[signature]
Nice report! Great looking fish!
[signature]
nice fish slick move handing your pole to your wife i'm sure seeing the Smile on her face made it worth it
[signature]
[font "Alfredo's Dance"][#004080][size 3]Nice macks PH & Mrs. PH! [cool] Sounds like a great time and it's nice to see other 'fisherladies' out there having a good time! I know there's no other feeling like it i've ever had [laugh]

My husband and I would like to fish for some of those famous macks one of these days but, we haven't made it yet [:/] [/size][/#004080][/font]
[signature]
Nice fish, I am hoping to get into some like those in a few weeks up there!!!!
[signature]
Great fish porta_homer!!! You guys were mighty brave to tough out that snow storm. Glad you could make it up there and hook into some mack action. Congrats to the both of you. Good luck next time you head out.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]A report like that sure does my heart good. Good to see you care for the fish as much as you care for your wife.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'll bet that hard drive home was filled with Smiles and fish topics.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks again for the nice pictures and the nice report.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Great fishing story. I think it is great that a people love fishing enough to go out in weather like that.
[signature]
I bet you will never have to ask to go fishing again....LOL