Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chukar calls
This is a question to all of you chukar hunters out there. I would not condiser myeslf as an amateur devil bird chaser.I love to chase the devil birds, don't really need "opinoins":. I was just wondering how many of you have used a chukar call, and if it worked succefully.I hunt these birds quite often and have never tried one, Just curious If any of you feel they work or not.

Thanks
Cody
[signature]
I went with a guy once that used one, one day of course doesnt provide a good basis for forming an opinion but I didnt see any great value in the call on that 1 particular day.
[signature]
I've used them off and on for the past 35 years hunting them. My experience has been that they work best used very sparingly. Most times a just a couple chucks will get an answer and help you locate birds. They can also work well after busting a covey and then sitting down and waiting for 20 or 30 minutes to let things settle down. A couple chucks on the call call get them started trying to locate each other.

How's your Utah season been?
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
I haven't had too bad of a year when I have been able to get out. Pretty sure I have gotten on birds each time out (shooting hasn't always been great). Started off pretty good, but my wife and I had our son early October, so that has cut me free time down quite a bit. I don't think I have even been out in the chukar hills since maybe early November.

And thanks for the input. They are like $ 13 at Sportsmans. Maybe I will pick one up and see how it goes. I have usually found them to be most vocal before first light, or after I flush them. So, I can usually get back on a covey I have jumped. I was just thinking this may help find them the first time and kind of go from there.
[signature]
I've had success using one after busting a covey then waiting a few minutes to call and was able to hold a small group while i made my way through the trees I would stop and call wait for them to start up then move closer they would stop i would stop and hit the call again seemed to work that time anyway[Wink]
[signature]