Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any tips on spring bobber freezing
Okay I went to Walmart and picked up some new spring bobbers that are the real springs. I love them for sensitivity and being able to see the slightest bite. But they totally freeze up on me after the second cast. I tried drilling the hole out bigger. Bad idea the spring is turned into the cork thingy and drilling it really screwed up the spring. Does anyone have an idea of how I can keep these from freezing up? Thanks J
[signature]
Try some Ice Off paste from the fly fishing shops.
[signature]
Thanks ill check that out. J
[signature]
I wrap a tent with a heater inside around mine and I dont have any problems![crazy]
[signature]
Dip it in mineral oil occasionally. Works great.
[signature]
Chapstick. You want to apply the ice paste mentioned above or chapstick to your rod eyes before you go out. I keep the chapstick in my pocket to keep it warm then reapply as needed. These items will help with ice rod eye freeze but will wear off.
[signature]
That's a great idea. After yesterday for the first time I am considering one. It was 2 below when I got there before light and 7 when I left about noon and I was starting to get a little cold. One day I will probably take the tent plunge. Later J
[signature]
Does mineral oil hurt your line? Thanks for the tip. J
[signature]
Since you're using braid line too - cold exacerbate the problem. There is "ice braid", but I think some other flavors of braid will absorb water. Is your line freezing on your reel too, or just on the spring?

WD40 - the WD stands for water displacement. Or some of those spray non-stick stuff. Some folks'll use it on sleds and augers too.

Did you fish the same area, or move to other spots?
Thanks that's something I will have with me. I'll give it a try first. Thank you. J
[signature]
Look for an indicator that has a large eye.

If the tip of the rod freezes, just lower it in the water and let it thaw out.
[signature]
Hey Yote I put a hundred feet of mono on my one braid line reel and my other reels were already mono or fluorocarbon so the line isn't too much problem just the small diameter hole in the spring bobber.

I fished east of where we were and only caught one so I moved back to where we fished and got into them again. Not sure if it was location or time of day that made the difference but it got better until 10:30 ish then it shut off for me only got single hits and light nibbles and they were gone after that.

Hey thanks for the suggestions as well. Later J
[signature]
I had some other indicators that didn't have the problem but I love how sensitive these spring ones are. They are the best I've seen for light biters I think they show the slightest nibbles they really have improved my panfish ice takes so I just need to figure out how to keep them working for me. Thanks for your thoughts. J
[signature]
We hit the hard deck today and I applied chapstick at home to the rod eyes and spring bobber loop and worked like a charm. No iced eyes...for while. Temp was 8* on arrival and got to like 18*. Chapstick will wear off so you'll need to re-apply but it worked for us today.
[signature]
Sounds good thanks J
[signature]