Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Poachers Beware!
[shocked][font "Alfredo's Dance"][size 2][#004080]Did you guys see this report? Sheesh! We love to fish and bring them home to eat but good heck! That's a lot of fish! Makes it hard for others to enjoy. [unsure] I guess they're gonna be severely charged from what it sounds like.[/#004080] [/size][/font]

[font "Alfredo's Dance"][size 2]On KSL.com:[/size][/font]

Freezer Full of Fish Brings Felony Charges
Nov. 5, 2003

Sam Penrod Reporting

State Wildlife officials are investigating a case of poaching – a couple believed to have been frequently over-catching their daily limit at a local pond. Police served a search warrant and found a freezer full of fish, and are now pursuing felony charges.

Willow pond is a popular place designed to give fishing opportunities to those who can't travel far from home. In this case, the couple apparently planned to eat the fish, but authorities say it was not about being needy, instead it's a case of being greedy.

Even on a snowy day, you can find people out enjoying Willow pond trying to catch a fish. But now wildlife officers accuse a Salt Lake County couple of using this urban pond for something far more than recreational fishing. Police confiscated all of the fish, 174 to be exact from the couple's freezer.

Capt. Mike Fowlks, Division of Wildlife Resources: “Were basically taking them home, putting them in the freezer. By their own admission they were stocking up for winter. Basically going to feed themselves for the winter with these fish."

In one day, investigators witnessed the man and woman catch 21 fish. The daily limit is four fish and according to state law; no one can have more than four fish in their possession. The discovery is frustrating to state fishing officials who've worked hard to develop the urban fisheries program for kids and the elderly.

Drew Cushing, Community Fisheries Biologist: "People who can't get out to Strawberry or Scofield or some of these farther out reservoirs. These ponds were built and designed and hard work has gone into them on everybody's behalf."

For those who enjoy fishing in this pond the news is equally disappointing.

Kathy Moyes: “It takes away from everybody else who wants to come down and fish. It's only stocked four times a year."

Because the pond is small, officials admit many other fishermen have lost opportunities to catch fish because of the poaching. Investigators credit a tip from the state's poaching hotline in helping to stop this trout hoarding.

Drew Cushing: "If people are out there thinking about taking more than their share and taking them home, this shows people are out there watching them and they will be turned in."

The couple did have a fishing license, but because of having so many fish far above the daily limit, authorities are pursuing third degree felony charges of wanton destruction of wildlife. Those charges have yet to be filed and the suspects have not been identified.
[signature]
I like to see they caught them ,I get that complaint all the time from farmington pond. Wish more people would call...
[signature]
Glad they got busted. Their excuse about how they are going to eat all of them doesn't stand with me. Catch 4-8 between the two of them, take them home, eat them, then go catch your limit again. The math isn't all that hard to figure out. I enjoy catching fish, and there have been a number of times I can catch more than a limit of fish, but I'm a firm believer of catch and release. Be as gentle as possible with the fish, so they can be enjoyed by others. Take a few pics if you really want to take something extra home. Just my two cents.
[signature]
[font "Alfredo's Dance"][#004080][size 3]I understand completely! [Wink] I have fished catch and release a lot over the years.. Some of my most fond fishing trips!

We now have fish in our menu due to some $ problems, we decided that we'll keep the bigger ones and let the lil' bits get bigger for 'next time'[Wink] We do still let tons go and never keep over our limit tho'. We like to eat em' but, not THAT much! [/size][/#004080][/font]
[signature]
Sooner or later it will catch up with those who break the law. I hate to see big fish get taken out of Bear Lake. The only fish I take are the ones that get injured.
Do they mention what type of fish? The article implies trout, just wondering.
[signature]
with that count of fish i would think catfish caught over the summer
[signature]
[font "Alfredo's Dance"][#004080][size 2]I'm not sure what type of trout only that they were trout. [/size][/#004080][/font]

[font "Alfredo's Dance"][#004080][size 2]That's all we've fished for lately and the only type of fish we've eaten. The 'biggest' ones we've caught have been around 2 or so lbs No 'big' fish yet, C.N.R. or otherwise [Wink][/size][/#004080][/font]

[font "Alfredo's Dance"][#004080][size 2]We haven't ever caught or fished in the Bear or for macks. The only other fish i've caught before is bass when I lived in Nevada and fished Crittenden but only fished C.N.R. [/size][/#004080][/font]

[font "Alfredo's Dance"][#004080][size 2]Fish is definatly NOT my favorite meal but is healthy to eat and provides good food when we'll need it the most. [Wink][/size][/#004080][/font]
[signature]
I'm glad to hear they got them, there are so many that get away with poaching that it sure is sweet when the DWR can make an arrest. Thanks for posting the report. WH2
[signature]
Let me start by saying I dont eat fish. Not that theres anything wrong with eating fish. I just prefer catch and release.

But, I do have in my freezer half a limit of cisco for bait to fish with on bear lake.

But as an individual who meets and talks with a lot of fishermen, I have to say that the situation of having a freezer full of fish is not at all uncommon.

Now, only an idiot would get online and admit that they have about fifteen trout in thier freezer right now, but I would dare say that if you got a look in most fishermens freezers you would find quite a few fish, and possibly quite a few of multiple species.

I am not going to pass judgement on any one, not even these two, who have been caught, where it seems to be an out of control number of fish.

I had this same dilema with ducks. How many hunters kill ducks all season long and have in thier freezer more than the possession limit? I would dare say its the majority.

Just the same as in the fishing community. Most likley the majority of liscense holders have over the possession limit in thier freezer.

How many have had half a deer or elk left over from last years hunt and still went out and hunted the next season?

I am not trying to say its ok to do, just to point out that most people intend to eat the game and fish they obtain, and to ask the question, is it poor ethics in your mind?

How serious should the punishment be for having more than the possesion limit?

I believe that willard bay would have a ton more wipers in it if everyone only had one limit in possession and consumed it before they went back out.

And the next question, is it right to pass judgment on anyone if you yourself know of people who have more than a possession limit in thier freezer and you have not contacted the fish and game?

All I can say is Thank God for catch and release.

Maybee the DWR should have a fishermens saftey and ethics course required to get a liscense where they could teach the value of selective harvest.
[signature]
Fish is a great meal just depends on how you cook it!

I don't like greasy fish so mine when cooked are NEVER fried. Baked, smoked and BBQ are the only ways to cook it. Fish jerky is good also.

You ought to try fish tacos!

[size 1]FISH TACOS

[/size][size 2]INGREDIANTS:[/size]
[size 1]

VEGGIE MIX:

IN A LARGE BOWL MIX THE VEGGIES STIR UNTIL ALL THE SPICES ARE WELL MIXED

3 DICED TOMATOES
2 DICED ONIONS
1 DICED BELL PEPPER
1 CUP LEMON JUICE
3 LIMES JUICED
SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE
2 TABLESPOONS MINCED GARLIC
1 TEASPOON CUMIN
½ CUP DICED CELLANTRO
1 TEASPOON OREGANO
3 DICED BANNANA PEPPERS (THESE PEPPERS ARE NOT HOT JUST TASTE GOOD)
1 DICED JALAPENO (REMOVE THE SEEDS OR IT WILL BE GOOD AND HOT)
2 CUPS CABBAGE
2 CUPS LETTUCE
2 TABLESPOONS VINEGAR

FISH

1-2LBS OF FISH FILLETS PERCH ARE GREAT BUT ANY FISH WILL DO
2 TABLESPOONS MINCED GARLIC
SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE

COOK FISH FILLETS IN OIL, GARLIC, SALT & PEPPER UNTIL FISH FLAKES EASILY

CORN TORTILLAS

COOK CORN TORTILLAS IN A LARGE PAN USE JUST ENOUGH OIL TO FILL THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN PLACE CORN TORTILLAS INTO OIL FOR ABOUT 10-15 SECONDS PER SIDE AND REMOVE FROM PAN SET THESE ASIDE TO USE TO MAKE FISH TACOS

FISH TACOS

DUMP FISH & VEGGIES INTO COOKED CORN TORTILLA TOP WITH YOUR FAVORITE SALSA, SOUR CREAM & CHEESE

ENJOY [/size]
[signature]
Most of the fish were rainbows, but there were some browns in the mix.
[signature]
The problem with this violation was more than just having over the limit at their home. A week before these people were sited for keeping more than the limit on one trip.( They were aware and warned) They were video taped several times violating the limit laws. The result was repeated violations of over the limit and the suituation of 174 fish in the freezer!! I might add that there are no browns in Willow pond, that means they hit other fisheries that were not a "put and take". That type of fishing on the Provo or other fishery has a very negative impact. This is a good thing because it was in the media and many saw the report. We as stewards of our lakes and rivers need this messaage from the DWR officers more.

I understand what you are saying about fisherman having more than the limit of 4 in their freezers ,but you would be hard pressed to find many that have 170!
[signature]
[cool] You brought up a very good point. Maybe something that we should all reconsider. How much fishing do we want to do in the future. If we don't release one or two today what will be out their for our kids to enjoy later??

I am in no means perfect myself. I am teaching my son the fine art of fishing. We practice alot of Catch and Release and only keep what we plan to eat for dinner that day or the next day. The only fish that I keep in my freezer is a few mackeral for bait and an occasional carp for bait. Once in awhile I can be caught with a small bag of chovies.

Lets all do are part to help keep our own stomping grounds in check. It's very simple. 1 we don't have to join PETA. 2 we don't have to harvest every single fish that bites our lines. 3 throw the little one back so that they can become big ones. 3 keep the medium one and have a nice fish dinner with your favorite recipie. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmy!!!
[signature]
Good points Predator. From my own exeriance in the past I learned that a lot of the fish that went into my the freezer ended up in the trash because I never got around to eating them before they got freezer burn. Now I only keep what I intend to eat immediately and I keep far fewer fish than I used to.

I enjoy eating fish, of several species. My whole family loves fish. I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping and eating a few. On the other hand I do believe there are times and places when we should release everything. I was not offended by any comments of other members in this thread but we need to be careful not to force the mentality that catch and release is holier than hooking and cooking. I do find that concept offensive because it is untrue and can lead to poor fishery management. There are times and places for both. There is no room in fishing for elitists.

What gripes me about what these people did is the extent to which they violated the law. They didn't keep a few extra, they kept about 170 too many. And they did it knowing and selfishly. There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. They went way beyond both. They ought to be nailed.

But what about the guy that catches a legal limit of fish and then bottles them. Technically that is against the law. It gets sticky there. I am not against someone doing that as long as a fishery is not depleted because of it and other anglers have a chance of catching fish too. And the fish eventually get eaten, not wasted. But I am also not sure that the fisheries in Utah should become the backbone of someones meat supply.

I too have eaten fish because I was low on funds. Heck, when I was a student in Logan I practically lived on the fish I caught. I had no choice. I rode my bike to first dam, caught a limit of planters(8), took them home, cooked 2 for dinner that night, and froze the rest. I would then eat the fish from the freezer over the next week or so. By the way, they were delicious.

My point is that we shouldn't judge others on what they do and don't keep, except in the case of obvious violations. Each one of us have our beliefs. We should not force our beliefs on others unless it is to resolve a problem. And we should be responsible with the resource.

m
[signature]
Your last paragraph is especially excellent and makes some very important points, both in terms of ethics and tolerance and respect for differing personal and cultural ideologies. I totally agree with you. Environmental protection is important but sometimes you need to examine more closely what is being advocated. For example, an interesting question is why is catch and release rhetoric so often centered upon the release especially of large (trophy) fish. Are we trying to protect our own anthropocentric interests in the sport or do we really care about the fish themselves? Anyways, interesting discussion here.[Smile]
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 2]OK I beleive these people did it all wrong! And it is poaching the way they did it. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 2]But what about the casual fisherman like me! I go fishing what 2-3 times a month, catch my limit or not, but bring home my fish with the intent to eat them eventually. Bottle the fish for later use, everything I bottle gets eaten over time. Fish will be gobbled up during the cold winter months, since I 've never gone ice fishing (will be remedied this winter). So I may have several limits in the house, but I do have 3 people in the house with a valid fishing liscense, does this mean I'm poaching too? [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 2]Is a fine line between poaching and the casual fisherman not under this definition.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Do you have kids moose? They get to keep a full limit too. I have 7 kids and my wife has a license that means we can have 36 fish in the freezer. I don't like froozen fish so I filet and cook the same day or I give them to a friends wife who makes a killer trout chowder.
[signature]
FFM,

This is just my opinion, but I don't have a problem with you bottling fish for later use as long as they really do get used eventually. And as long as you stay within the possession at stated by PescadorUtah it is legal. But technically, it would be illegal to keep a number of fish beyond that possession limit, even if they do get eaten eventually. In my opinion, as long as you don't start hording, it is okay to go by the spirit of the law and keep a reasonable number of fish in bottles or in the freezer. We have all done that at sometime.

m
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 2]No hoarding going on here, I bottle in only pints, so if I catch a large fish it usually takes 3-4 pints to put it up. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 2]And yes all the stuff gets eaten up or gobbled up to be exact. I bottle it up, then put it in the basement where its cool, then friends come over to see what the latest batch of salsa is or what ever we've canned and they usually pack home a pint or two of the fish I've put away. I all goes pretty fast once the word gets out, and if I had got a dozen pints saved up its half gone anytime members of the family show up.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 2]My basement ends up being the family supermarket, for salsa, fish, tomatoes, and any other canned veggies we put away during the summer and fall.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 2]I would feel really bad if anything I put up went to waste, thats why I date it all and make them take the latest dates first. I've got my system and it works.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 2]And I have a daughter, who just loves fishing, she usually catches the first, biggest & most everytime we head out fishing together.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]