Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard's Bays?
Wondering if anyone has news on the ice conditions - I guess especially the N. Marina. Not inclined to venture out in the main lake, but might be fun to hit some early ice in the confines of the harbor. See all them UL harbor posts, and - granted - not white bass, but would be fun to hammer some crappies.

Hit it last year when it was samoooooooth and slick. Quick trip, didn't get any action, but was running blind too. I could fix that!
Might think about giving it a try Sunday morn. Being how dang frigid it is, would hope for a goood safe cap!
I would bet you should have atlest 4 inches in the north marina it had about 2 inches a couple of weeks ago, and it has been gettin down arond zero lately at night and not getting above 25 in the day. I might go check it out tomorrow afternoon I will let ya know the thickness if I do.
-Bryan
[signature]
Now BullRider don't be cutting class to check ice thickness but ill bet it should be safe by now its been two weeks since I ran into you checking the ice last time and its been cold most of that time so it's probably ready to try. Good luck. Later J
[signature]
Call me weird but I like to fish crappie at night and into the wee hours of the morning. Has anyone every tried it at Willard? Keeps me out of the crowds.
[signature]
You are likely right on the ice thickness at the North marina, last Sat it was 3 inches.
[signature]
Gosh dangit you got me![Wink]
[signature]
Nuthin weird about that. I think some of our resident slab-masters play their night games too.
Tried once up to Newton after dark, but ice was SOOO thick, hardly got to move around, and it was wicked wicked cold.

BUT - I'm game for trying again! Hopefully some night trip to Newton, Willard, or Pineview will treat us to some super slabs! Still gotta break the 12" mark for Crappie.

Plus - place like Willard - never know if an Eye might come exploring! So in Winter - do they have any problem with you staying after 10pm? Gates still open from the inside I'd hope.
I have done fairly well for crappie in the narrows at the view. Some had some pretty good size to them to.
-Bryan
[signature]
Hit me up sometime if you want to hit pineview for a night trip sometime. I might have to blindfold you on the way out and stick you in the tent though[Wink]
[signature]
Night fishing combines well logistically for cooking dinner, sleeping and already being there for early morning ice fishing the next day. That would save a lot of time. Perhaps it's a reason for me to get an ice fishing tent. I'm thinking of getting the CLAM large six pack.
[signature]
If you catch anything through the ice at Willard you are my hero.Let us know how ya do.
[signature]
Crappie fishing sucks at night!!!!! I don't recommend anyone ever fishing for crappie at night..... EVER!!! [Wink][Wink][cool][cool]
[signature]
Agreed 100%. I just like the solitary. Crappie can't see or smell at night' something I read on the Internet. They can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true!
[signature]
Just got back from williard didnt check the marina but instead punched a few holes south of it towards the island 6in good clear ice
[signature]
Did you fish it?
[signature]
no didnt have time bee there 2m late am
[signature]