Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview ice report???
Thinking about hitting up Pineview in the morning wondering if there's an update on the ice??
[signature]
We hit the narrows last night for about an 1 hour and a half before dark last night and actually managed some really nice sized perch and some smaller Crappie and missed a few more jigging our 3/16 oz. Chamelion colored Curlys tipped with a waxie in 40 ft of water. Ice was almost 6 inches and was really solid good ice. Edges were in good shape as well and with the cold temps its only going to get better Smile
[signature]
Did the perch actually bite in the dark or was it still light? In my experience. perch always shut down in the dark.
[signature]
He said they fished before dark.
[signature]
I was wanting to take my wife to pv in the mornin and was hoping to get her into some perch now that i know they really exist. Never been to pv. Can anybody give me a few tips that'll make me look like a master fisherman to her? Ha
[signature]
Get wire bobbers. Use perch eyes for bait after you catch the first few.
[signature]
If I were you I would go to the north side of cemetary point and try to hit 30+ feet of water and fish right on the bottom. Use small ice flies such as ratsos, rat finkees, nuclear ants, or anything like them, it helps if you have the ice fly below a swedish pimple or a castmaster (Both weight and attractint). Or you could even use the spoon itself and tip everything with mealworms or wax worms, once a perch is caught you can use its eye ball for bait. And most importantly good Luck and have fun![Smile]
-Bryan
[signature]
How much leader below the attracter to my ice fly like 4" or 2'?
[signature]
I like to go around 6 inches of leader once you have the set up set up (line, spoon, leader, ice fly) open the bail let it hit the ground and practice getting that ice fly right off the bottom if you go to far off the bottom the perch won't hit it. Most of my reels it's 1/2 to 3/4 rotation of the crank. If your not getting bites move around. I second cemetery point north side. Great area semi good access to the ice and always get into a few fish. Jig your rod a few times and let it sit a wire indicator is a must to detect the small bites. Good luck and have fun!
[signature]
Southside of cemetery point is fishing pretty well too. Fished Friday and then again today with plenty of bites. Two day combined total is well over 200 fish. Mostly little dinks but did manage a full limit of 7 to 9 inchers. Unfortunately today's trip was cut short when my 4 year old put his leg down the hole we were fishing.
[signature]
I parked at Cemetery Point and was going to fish the North side but ended up walking across the ice to Browning Point. Solid +6" of ice everywhere I checked. Finally punched a couple holes over 20' of water. Wax worms worked great but I got tired of re-baiting my bright orange ice fly, so I tipped it with a strip of perch meat. Bites were hard and action was non-stop till around 11am. Kept 22 perch but nothing over 10". Didn't see or hear any 4 wheelers or snowmobiles on the ice but I bet that changes over the next week.
[signature]
My wife decided to go see a movie today, so I suited up and went out to PV. Walked out onto the south side of Cemetery Point about noon. Guys were catching lots of 5" perch. One guy leaving gave me his hole (I don't own an auger) and even a few perch eyes. I baited up a double jig rig and dropped to the bottom.

Instant bite and I set the hook. bink Line snapped.

I was using a special mono made for ice fishing called Ice Black. Supposed to be 4.5 lb test. It was fine at home, but broke at less than a pound when it got cold. Well, when your reel is spooled with line that won't even withstand the hook set on a 5" perch, you are done for the day.

Total fishing time - ten seconds.

Nonetheless, I talked with some fine BFT folks, got some fresh air, and enjoyed myself immensely. I'll re-spool with old-fashioned mono for my next trip.
[signature]
That line should be good.
I have used it before and it was alright.
Too bad it failed for you today.

I usually spool everything with Magna Thin. It works great for me in all weather conditions.
[signature]
Yeah don't mess with that light line. Limited in half hour on decent 8 in perch on New Years Day there. 12lb trilene xl line LMAO. Basically transformed my "light" action bass rod to ice duty but tying on a teardrop and kastmaster combo. The next day it's back to the Gamakatsu offset shank for open water lmb lol.
[signature]
Those perch disappeared yesterday for me. Just like 10 perch and had to really work to find them. It was lame. Narrows produced a handful of 9 in crappie, nothing exciting. Echo produced two perch today, very slow. One was a giant 11 and a half inch hog tho.
[signature]