Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yesterday at pineview
Sorry for the late report but hit the ice with my son around 830 and off the south side of cemetery point we fished 36 feet of water and got 13 keeper crappie a bunch of dink crappie and about 10 perch and I caught my first bluegill ever out of that lake we used white unclear ants tipped with wax worms cant wait to try it at night!
[signature]
We also fished the South side yesterday.
We were the second farthermost 2 guys to the West.
We fished in 30' of water and later moved in to about 25'.
All we found were Perch.
We wanted to get into the Crappie but never found them.

We mover over the Port Ramp at about noon and found little biting over there.
[signature]
Always wonder why folks apologize - any report is welcome as I see it. Now if it's a year old, well, maybe . . .

looks like you had a good day! Nice lineup there! Mind if I ask - where the Crappie suspended, or onthe bottom? Haven't had much success finding them under ice at Newton, but that doesn't mean I won't keep trying!

If you go for a night trip, and want some company - I'd be game! Something I'd like to try, just not necessarily solo!

thanks for the report - anytime!
Yeah yote I met ben at newton last year and was hoping to meet you im gonna plan anight trip after I return from lake of the woods minnesota I leave saturday and return friday the 18th so maybe the 19th im gonna give it a try.me and my son would love some company! And yes right off the bottom we my showdown didn't mark any suspended fish
[signature]

We saw suspended fish but never got them to bite. I thought that they may have been Crappie but don't know for sure.
[signature]
Ive never fished the port ramp area is it deeper over there
[signature]
[quote Mooncricket]Ive never fished the port ramp area is it deeper over there[/quote]
About the same as at Cemetery Point.
Deeper as you go out to the middle.
We stayed closer to the ramp area and in 30' or less water.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the report, Mooncricket. You brought some joy to some kids (and their dad).

This will be my first year ice fishing and my kids are very much eager to go. They have been doing their best to be on top of their chores, good behavior, etc. I will be bringing my 16 year old daughter and 12 year old son. Your pictures brought excitement to their evening and they feel like it is Christmas all over again. We are a panfish family. We enjoy catching, cleaning, and eating them for dinner.

I purchased us a buddy heater, 6x6 shanty, propane auger, etc. The kids have been practicing multiple knots all weekend and watching a lot of ice fishing DVD's from infisherman. We are just waiting for the fish finder (Marcum LX9) to arrive. We have been waiting about a week, which was a disappointment to the kids. They were hoping to go this past weekend. We will be out early Saturday since the Marcum is supposed to arrive on Friday.

Your pictures give us some hope. If we catch anything, I'll be sure to share some pics. Thank you again for sharing.
[signature]
You don't need a finder to catch Perch. Just be sure that you are fishing on the very bottom. No more that 6" to 1' up from the bottom.
When you do use your finder, you will not see the Perch on the screen most of the time. They are so close to the bottom that they show up as part of the bottom until one rises up to look at your jig.

If you fish without a finder, dead stick your jig but lift it up a foot or so once in a while. Hold it up for a few seconds and then let it back down. This will get the attention of the Perch.

Have a loose drag on your reel and pull line out of the reel once in a while until your line goes slack, indicating contact with the bottom. Then reel up about 1/2 turn to get the jig in the "zone".

The bite is very light so be sure you are using strike indicators. Set the hook on any slight movement of the indicator.
[signature]
How fast was the bite? I have been waiting to get my two year old son out for his first ice fishing trip but I want the action to be steady before I take him so he doesn't get bored super fast.

Thanks Tex
[signature]
I also fished the south side of cemetery point on saturday in 27' of water. I never moved all day and the bite never stopped all day. Lots of dinksters with a few bigger ones mixed in. Me and one other guy caught at least 150 perch but no crappies.
[signature]
That's one monster gill you got there. [Smile]

I am going to need to get down there a few times this season too. It's my last season ice fishing - probably ever. I will be done with school and heading back to Alabama (assuming I land a job there). So no ice fishing there.
[signature]
Thank you for the tips DKStroutfitter. I will be putting it to use this weekend. My kids and I will most definitely be going.
[signature]
Thanks for report Mooncricket. nice mess of crappie. never fished the south side of the point . may give it a try this week.
fished port ramp yesterday and sunday really slow .
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
The bite was pretty steady but if you just dead stick it they wouldnt bite as often they liked it dancing for a second then dead thats how we got them we also didn't move until we left. Yeah bama a monster gill I was surprised I actually caught two but I didn't think they would hang in that deep of water. Well if this is your last season ice fishing I am glad I got to meet you and wish you the best in life if we dont meet up again but hopefully we can!
[signature]