Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek 1/3
Sorry this is late. I took 3 of my daughters to Lost Creek on Thursday. We arrived about 8:30 am with the temp at -3. We picked a spot right below the dam in 40 feet of water. When we pulled in the parking lot, I noticed a sign informing me of the 15 - 22 slot limit. It has been a littel while since I fished Lost Creek, and this was new to me.

My 9 year old pulled in the first fish on a small white and green tube jig tipped with a butter worm. It was about 15" maybe. I went to wal mart to pick up some meal worms the day before, but all they had wre these butter worms. I have never used them before. Some moth larvae out of South America. They seemed to work great.

Soon after my daughter pulled in the first I landed a nice cut at about 21 - 22". It was colorful, and my girls all yawed at it for a while before we let it go back down the hole. Tha bad news is I forgot my camera, which really upset me because it is so fun to look back with your kids and remember these fishing outings. We stayed until about 3:30. My oldest daughter caught 8 fish between 12 and 18". My second oldest caught 5 1/2. One got away at the hole. My youngest ended up with 3 ( mostly because she spent a lot of time sledding instead of fishing). She pulled in this amazing fat beautiful rainbow though that was lively and although shorter, much fatter and prettier than my big cut. I ended up with 9 successful landings. They were all cuts and bows of different sizes of course. It was a great day for my girls and me.

We had a shelter set up with a heater in it. There was just a skiff of snow on the lake when we got there, and about 6" of ice. There was a very small open patch of water near the middle of the reservoir. By about noon, the inside of the shelter had heated up nicely and started to melt surface of the ice makeing it crystal clear. It was like being in a glass bottom boat with the darkness of teh shelter and the sun illuminating the ice under us with an eirie green glow. We could watch through the ice as fish would approach our jigs and bump them and finally bite. Excellent fun. My youngest daughter called it "playing with the fish".

Our most successful presentation was a white or chartreusse paddle bug tipped with the butter worm. I think they are called paddle bugs. I can't remember. They are similar to a curly tail, but the tail is split into two sections. you probably know what I mean. If not you can look tehm up on sportsmans website.

I really like that a slot limit has been imposed on this body of water. I think it will guarantee that this will be a favorite fishing spot with some good size fish and fun sport tryign to catch them. In the past Lost Creek has been hot or cold. Some days are hot with some great fish, and other days I have been skunked ( guess that's like a lot of fishing spots). With the slot, hopefully this will even out a little more.

We put all the fish back. That is another reason why I was so miffed I forgot my camera. There was one other fellow there about 50 or so feet away from us. He took a limit home and seemed to be having good success as well. The road up was mostly clear with some stretches of snow pack and ice toward the end.
[signature]
Great report, sounds like a fun day...Glad you got the little ladies out to catch some fish and create some memories
[signature]
Tony, you have come a long way since your first ice-fishing trip. Great memories you are creating with your children.
[signature]
Kent, I still remember that first trip to Strawberry with you. You got me hooked on hard top fishing and taught me just about everything I know, Many thanks to you for the memories.
[signature]
That's a great trip! Good for you.

It must be pretty cool to watch through the "glass floor". Fun stuff.
[signature]