Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua today 1/9
Because there's been no chatter about Mantua lately, I went up there today. Pulled in and noticed that the truck next to me had its headlights on. When I got on the ice, the second group I checked were the right guys. They kindly loaned me a few drilled holes (I don't own an auger and must beg) in return for my headlight warning.

Turns out that Jeff and Dillon didn't know about BFT - but they do now! I hope to see them joining in our fun very soon.

Fish report: The fish were biting during the solunar peak period today (10:30-12:30) but quit promptly after that. Nothing at all right off the bottom, but we all got strikes from trout only six feet under the ice. The other guys landed eight or ten planters, and I couldn't connect with a hookset to save my plums. That's the way it goes some days...

They were using waxies and I was trying Gulp maggots and pieces of Gulp earthworms. I got lots of nibbles, so those are definite options if you can't find real bait. I suspect that I wasn't getting hooksets because I had the barbs buried in the plastic. Next time, I'll rig them up differently.

It was s gorgeous day. We were down to no gloves, open coats and beginning to wish we'd brought sunscreen -- until the wind came up about 1 pm. Got chilly right quick, and we watched as a wall of yellow gunky air rolled up the canyon from Brigham like a tsunami of pollution. That was enough for all of us.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. At least there's still some frisky fish. Wonder what the snowdump'll do for conditions.
I'm sure there'll be a few more visitors.