Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chesterfield tourney canceled/ Deep creek is an option.
Well you Idaho guys are going to be happy. Due to a pelican problem when the reservoir was way down they are not allowing the permit.
So here is what they told me. If I wanted to put one on in deep crreek they would allow that. So if any of you are interested on a deep creek tourney let me know asap. I am going to see how many people are interested in the next two days and decide what to do from there.
[signature]
Good! Glad to see the Idaho fish and game actually thought about fish before money on this one.
I knew that would make you happy outdoorsman [Wink] just yankin your chain.
[signature]
My question is when is the Fish and Game going to let a few of us sort out this pelican problem. This last summer we were fishing below the dam at American Falls and the Pelicans and Seagulls were scooping up hundreds if not thousands of minnows. Oh if I could only thin a few out with my Benelli!!!
[signature]
When would it be set up?
[signature]
Probably 4 of us would fish the tourny at Depp Creek. Three for sure.
[signature]
Stinkin pelicans. They finished off Condie too.
[signature]
Off topic of the tourny for a second, but speaking of Pelicans. I was fishing a lake up north one year that had the Pelican refuge. Tons of them on the corner bank , the area I wished to fish.
I had broke my leg so I had a 36" X 12" Dry duffle bag over my leg, steering with one fin. The closer I got must have scared them although I was moving ever so slow.
They took off over head, lead a nice rain of white CRAP falling from the sky.

We laughed after the fact, but honestly, every inch of my boat and myself (head shoulders) was covering in poo. All but the duffle bag on my leg was clean

Now the swans and seagulls on the other hand. They have chased me before.
[signature]
That is so gross, but funny. Picturing you with a duffle bag on your leg just makes it all the more comical. Thanks for sharing, that made me laugh.
[signature]
Flygoddess are you saying you were full of $hit!!! Just joking, I have been hit by a seagull or two while on my pontoon, but never have been blanketed by a whole flock!! That would have been funny to see especially if it was not me!
[signature]
Not full of but cover in....LOL Oh my husband was loving it.

Sad thing is, I just thought it was raining till I could SEE that it was white,
[signature]
So if the fishery is in trouble why were 2 of us able to catch 60ish fish in less than half a day? And if it is in danger why don't they make it catch and release? Seems a little silly to let people keep fish if it is really in trouble.
[signature]
Who said the fishery was in trouble?
I have just heard the Lake is down 15 to 20 feet That is quite a bit but the fact it is a bigger lake may not make it appear smaller. It is also more shallow.
I would also like to know what the Pelicans had to do with the no decision.
[signature]
Any keepers? Or, you just caught 60 plus?

Idaho
[signature]
Not that my opinion matters, but I will say I am very against a tourney at Deep Creek. Deep Creek is a very small Reservoir in the first place, and looks to be about half the size as summer levels. The fish are very concentrated. The reason Deep Creek is awesome is the few hold overs that make it through the winter. You put a large number of ice fisherman keeping the largest fish and the big fish won't be able to get really big. Now I know normal pressure takes out big fish but no reason to put extra stress on a small piece of water.

Why not American Falls, Magic? Now that I think about it why not Roberts Gravel Pond? You could weigh in the perch as total number of lbs per team and actually be doing the lake a favor by removing them.

Windriver
[signature]
FG maybe " in trouble" wasn't the right phrase but the answer from fish and wildlife was that the pelicans killed half the stocked fish. Just seems to me that if a lake of that size can't support a potential 300 fish harvest maybe they should take other steps to protect the fishery. Idaho we caught a dozen or so over 20" and many more over 18.
[signature]
A dozen or so over 20"? I smell a fish tail. [fishon]
[signature]
The Bear "windriver". Has Awakened!

Idaho
[signature]
Ok, way to call someone a liar that you have never met. Your opinion or who you know doesn't change the facts. I personally caught 4 over 24". But I am probably lying about that too.
Back on topic I would fish a deep creek tournament but I would like to see it run like the devil creek tournament where catch and release of big fish is more of an option, I don't really like keeping a big fish to see if is a winner. I say measure them when they are caught. Reduces the chance to cheat also
[signature]
[quote Fishsticker]FG maybe " in trouble" wasn't the right phrase but the answer from fish and wildlife was that the pelicans killed half the stocked fish. Just seems to me that if a lake of that size can't support a potential 300 fish harvest maybe they should take other steps to protect the fishery. Idaho we caught a dozen or so over 20" and many more over 18.[/quote]

Remember, we are talking one day. 300 harvested and how many killed to get the winners. I am just be practical that any caught fish has a big chance at going belly up.
But, sounds like you definitely have that lake dialed in. Doing much better than anyone I have talked to.
[signature]