Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cascade Ice?
My wife and I are mainly bass fisher persons, but just bought some stuff to do the ice fishing thing as Spring just takes too long to get here.

So, thinking of Cascade for a first trip but have no idea if it has "safe" ice yet.

Also, really have no idea where to start.

Jig with small tackle?

Worms?

Meal worms?

Something better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I probably have one chance to get her hooked on going out on the ice!

Thanks,

Bob
[signature]
Went to Cascade today. We fished at the first dock area south of the golf course. Found some nice trout and a few perch but overall the day was a bit slow. Talked to a few other folks and between all of them they had caught 2 fish so maybe we didn't do too bad. We used crawlers and meal worms.
[signature]
What's going on up there? How thick is the ice? I would rather fish for a few fat perch, than sled.
Smile

Idaho
[signature]
Anyone else got reports for Cascade? Could still use some advice on how to ice fish!

Thanks TherapyGuy for the report. Hope to head that way mid week.[reply][/reply]

Bob
[signature]
Bob,

Check your messages? I would post the site. But. I would get into trouble.

Idaho
[signature]
Thanks a bunch IDAHO... I always forget to look up there at the message block. I'd do some reading after dinner.

Bob

PS WOW TONS OF INFO THERE! MANY THANKS
[signature]
Hi BBart,

I am giving away no secrets here when I say some places to start are Sugarloaf (accessed via Stonebreaker Lane off Highway 55), Poison Creek, Boulder Creek or Crown Point. Stop at Tackle Toms in Cascade to stock up on supplies and get some info - he is a good guy. They also have free maps of the lake which are helpful. Please consider contributing to the local economy as much as possible because the folks up there work hard.

I'm no expert but fish for perch more than reasonable people and think the key is to find the right depth. Last week for me it was 14-16'. The week before it was 10'-12'. It will be probably be different next week but if you want the big boys, you generally need to be deeper than 10'. I've caught big perch on each of the following with either crawlers, cut bait (perch bellies), perch eyes, maggots or mealies attached:

Plain hook.
Jig heads of every color and shape imaginable.
Swedish pimples.
Gitzits.
Rapala jigging raps.
Skirted crappie jigs of every color.
Feathered crappie jigs of every color.
Smallish bass plastics.
Ice flies.
Ratsos.
Spoons.
About 20 other things I'm not telling you.

I'm no Galileo but there I would guess there are about a zillion possible combinations and if you keep experimenting, you will eventually find something they are hitting. I'm not trying to be flippant....you never know what they are going to hit and I've had the best luck moving spots and changing gear until you find what they want. As a default, a jig head with a small piece of crawler hooked in a natural position is a good choice. If you are vertical jigging, make sure your line is coming straight off the top of the eyelet.

Jig the bait so it hits the bottom and stirs up mud. The strike zone is usually within 8" of the bottom but that also varies. Sonar is useful. The ice should be in good shape. I caught some trout last weekend in shallower water with the bait about 2-3' off the bottom but, again, that varies.

Cascade is a fickle mistress and rewards those who put in the work so good luck and please let us know how you do.

Eric
[signature]
WOW Thanks for all the great information . Curt G.
[signature]
Eric,

Like Curt said, THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO.

As to Tackle Tom's, we always stop by there while summer fishing Cascade. They are always pleasant and more than willing to help. Last summer some folks here "dissed" Tom's place and I was one to defend. He can't be 100% spot on all the time, no one can. So, we always drop it seems like more than a few buck on bait and sundries in the store.

And I understand about perch .... just like all fishing, it isn't science and what works on one day just doesn't work another.

If all works as planned, we're headed up for the day on Thursday ... that's if our daughter doesn't end up on jury duty and we end up as babysitters!

Thanks Again,

Bob
[signature]