Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Augers
I know this subject has been previously covered, but what are the opinions on the currently available power augers. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
That is almost like asking what is better, Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet. But with that said, Strikemaster is one of the better ones out there. I have one that has got to be getting near its life-expectancy. Try 24 years old and still running/cutting great.
[signature]
+1. Mine is pushing 25 and still runs great. I just replaced the blade last year and think I'm gonna have to rebuild the carb after this season. Only other thing I've done was to clean out & re-lub the gearcase last year too. Just did that 'cause I thought it might be a good idea.
[signature]
I have a strike master auger and have had great luck with it always starts and its seven years old. Its a 10 inch auger with a single blade and it will drill twice as a double blade Laser.
[signature]
If you go up to Montana/ North Dakota/ Minnesota etc you will see a very large percentage of the anglers using Jiffy and Strikemaster. I do not think this is a coincidence. I had an eskimo for one season and now I am back to Jiffy. If I were buying today I would get the Propane Jiffy or the four stroke jiffy or strikemaster.

Jigga
[signature]
Don't count out electric power either. This year I got a new Li-Ion Dewalt cordless drill ($250 DCD985L2[url "http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-drills-hammerdrills-dcd985l2.aspx"][/url]) and paired it up with a $80 6" Strikemaster Lazer and a $25 adapter off eBay. With the 3Ah batteries I can cut a hole through 12inches of ice in about 2 seconds. The cold doesn't seam to affect the Li-Ion batteries like the way it killed the old NiCads. I always bring a spare battery, but I haven't needed it yet in 4 trips. I move around a lot and drill a lot of holes, probably 25 or more per trip.

This system is much lighter than gas to haul out onto the ice. It also doesn't leak, drills faster, and always starts. I especially like the ability to reverse the auger after I break through and push all the slush back under the ice.

If I had it to do over again, I probably would have got a 7 or 8-inch auger, as I like the larger hole size, but was concerned about the torque ability of the drill. This hasn't been a problem at all.
[signature]
For what it's worth, I spent a year researching augers before I bought mine. I ended up with a Jiffy propane auger. I didn't have any preferences before I bought it and I haven't been disappointed. I've used it in sub zero temps and its worked great. Good luck!
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
[quote boat_guy]For what it's worth, I spent a year researching augers before I bought mine. I ended up with a Jiffy propane auger. I didn't have any preferences before I bought it and I haven't been disappointed. I've used it in sub zero temps and its worked great. Good luck![/quote]

I agree. I came to the same conclusion that boat guy did. Have really liked it!
Lots of good ones out there!
[signature]
I'm new to the ice fishing gig but I bought an Eskimo 51 cc 10". Took it to the Gorge Saturday. Drilled 8 holes likity split. It doesn't turn scary fast but fairly fast. Just carves carves carves and you are through. It seems great so far. I will say that the choke lever is plastic. That worries me a little. I had a major right shoulder repair about a year ago so I was worried about lifting it out of the hole and also starting, it but it was no problem. I like it so far. After 8 holes the gas level seemed exactly the same. I hope I get some good years with it! Eskimo makes a 72 cc and when I learned that I had some buyers remorse but the 51 is plenty.
[signature]
Don't waste your time with a power auger! Get yourself an 8" Nils hand auger. They cut as fast and with as little effort as a power auger only without lugging around all that weight and gas and worrying about whether it will start etc.. People who buy them as a backup after owning power augers start leaving the power auger home. They are not like other hand augers. You don't push down on the top and turn with the other hand. Both handles are offset and you push and pull with both at the same time while the weight of the auger alone is plenty to push it through. I was a skeptic til I tried one last year, and now I own one. I use to use a 6" mora hand auger, and even with new blades the 8" nils is less effort. I can't imagine how easy a 6" nils would be.
[signature]
+1 love my z51. So far wouldn't trade it for any other
[signature]