Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How's Starvation lately?
How has starvation been lately? I'm thinking of going out in a few days. Any reports?
[signature]
Since nobody else chimed in on your question, I thought I would provide what little information I have after a trip to Starvy today.
A friend and I met Wyoguy and his nephew Rowdy at the main State Park boat ramp area. We went directly across to the north and set up off the point.
In a nutshell, the fishing was as fast as pancake syrup would have run down the boat ramp this morning! It was minus 27 when we went by the High School sign. We fished pretty hard and caught a number of decent rainbows in water between 18 and 50 feet. The trout were cruising around at various depths up off the bottom. We moved further north into the shallow bay beyond the point. We have caught perch in that area in the past. Today there was "no joy" on the yellow barred demons. I believe I saw a very few cruise by just off the bottom but they only gave my bait a half-hearted peck. The four of us did not catch a perch today. I would say the area we fished today is not a perch hotspot this season.

I think the extremely low water late last summer has caused the perch to seek new areas. The water was so low that some of the weed beds they rely on for food and cover were dewatered and there hasn't been enough time for the weeds to recover. The water has come back up somewhat since the fall, but it is still quite a bit lower than it was this time last winter.
The Starvation perch search will continue......Stay tuned.

Mike
[signature]