Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No-Knot Fast Snaps
So does anyone fish with this hardware??? It looks like a great way to change your jig - but how does it work when fishing for larger fish - lake trout?

[Image: i110700sq01.jpg]
[signature]
I've never seen those before. Where can you buy them at???
[signature]
I have used them when trolling on the berry, I have also used the fast snapsthat look more like a swivel. You can buy them in different sizes just like swivels. I have no idea how they hold up against big lunkers or a say wiper but they do great with the cutts and bows at the berry. also much easier to change your lure.
[signature]
The pics are from your friends at Cabelas but I hope they sell them at the local stores - Sportmans/Fish Tech/Hooked...
[signature]
[Sad]uh oooo!!! Somebody forgot to log in. It is hard to tell whos comment comes up on the board when ya don't log in.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]This GUEST is a member. GOT YOU.

On the subject of the snaps, I have used several. Most of them are rated in terms of strength, and are usually far stronger than the line to which they are attached. As with split rings and other connections, try to be sure you buy quality, and you will not lose fish because of bad choices.

If the tolerences on those quick connects are as they should be, there will be little chance of a fish levering the snap open and escaping. If you maintain constant pressure on a fish, the pull will always be against the end of the loop, and not against the opening of the snap. In short, they do work on many jigs and lures.

The only downside is when you are using the micro stuff. Fish under the ice are usually slower and more finicky...and they swim in winter cleared water. If you have to go to leader as small as 1 or 2 pounds to get bit...on a small ice fly or jig...the use of an extra piece of metal might hamper your stealth mode.

On the other hand, if the fish are active, you will find it much easier to change sizes and colors of jigs or spoons. And, once you have a good knot, you don't have to worry about tieing a bad one in haste, if you retie after breaking off a big one and you are all excited...with cold fingers.

A third reason for using snaps on some lures is that you can get more action than if the lure is tied directly to the line. This is desirable on some lures, but not on others. What is it..."Spring down...fall up?"
[signature]
Inline with TD, I use the duo-lock snaps almost exclusively. I've used the ones in the picture but I've had them break on me when attaching/removing from the bait. Along the same lines, I'm a believer in minimizing the number of links between me and the fish. I don't use swivels when casting or trolling. And I never use them on the terminal end (six feet from the business end is close enough to minimize twist). I also either tie to the split ring on the bait, or I clip (with a duo-lock snap) to the bait itself. But I never clip to the split ring (since they perform the same function of maximizing bait movement).

When Mr. Dude says he up-sizes in fall, I think he means the bait size and not the amount of terminal tackle he adds to his presentation (though duo-lock sizes should be in balance with line and bait).

Another thing, cheap swivels are worthless. Not even worth the pennies you pay for them. Buy only the ball bearing ones.
I agree. I've lost fish because I was using cheap swivels and the swivel actually broke in half. I had bought a couple of packs of South Bend brand snap swivels, and they ended up being weaker than my 6 lb. line! I lost a couple of fish to them before I threw all the rest away and bought some better ones. I refuse to buy ANYTHING from South Bend now. I've had bad experiences with fly reels and fishing poles from them as well. I've learned my lesson the hard way. You really do get what you've paid for. I only buy quality stuff now that I know will last. That inlcudes everything from gear to hooks to line to whatever. About the only thing that doesn't matter is sinkers, since lead is lead (as long as there are no jagged edges on the hole where the line goes through to weaken your line).
[signature]
new computer, still trying to get use to it.
[signature]
Lundman,

I use a similar item and the work ok. I have caught 10 lb stripers on them and had no problem. How was your trip to Deer Creek?
[signature]
I just ordered some from cabelas. They come in 3 different sizes. I will test these out and kick back some info for those who are interested.
[signature]
The Deer Creek trip was nothing to remember - except for the launch. Had to see if the truck minded getting wet and once we were about 30' out from shore and still couldn't get the boat off - we had to have Scotty "Give me More Power"...FULL REVERSE -

The retreive was just as exciting - got to use 4WD and spun quite a bit... but made it out.

Would I launch it again - NO - but we'll take up my brothers jet boat or my 12' alumimun.

Did we catch any fish - Nope, had on probably about seven and all came off. Even pop gear was getting bites but unable to keep them on...
[signature]