Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Reservoirs Hold Legally Stocked Perch?
With the very active thread about Fish Lake, I have to wonder just what reservoirs were legally stocked with Perch.
It seems like many of our reservoirs were illegally stocked.
[signature]
Good question, That one I have no idea.
[signature]
im not sure on that one either and its probly been a long time since any perch were stocked. My grandpa when he was real young maybe in the 70's used to catch perch in the upper weber above RP all the way to the highway 32 bridge so i have no idea if they were in the on purpose or not. i doubt the stocking reports go back that far to show when the perch were stocked if it was done legally. Im very curioius to know about that, good thread DKS. anybody have any idea??
[signature]
I'm not sure that any of them were legally introduced. The UDWR did buy some fingerling perch to plant in Yuba a few years ago. They approved, and supervised a transplant of a few hundred adult perch to Yuba at about the same time.

Utah doesn't have the facilities to rear perch, or harvest perch eggs, so the UDWR had to buy the fingerlings. I'm not sure how much they spent, but my guess is that they weren't cheap. They had to be certified as disease free, and transported quite a ways.
[signature]
1. Deer Creek (but not Jordanelle)
2. Yuba
3. Utah lake probably had them flush down from Deer creek and not from bucket biology.

(There may be more)
[signature]
this article implies that most every lake had iillegal introductions of them even though its vague. dont know how accurate it is either.

[url "http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/utahfish/yellowperch.php"]http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/utahfish/yellowperch.php[/url]
[signature]
also reading up on this i guess my grandpa wasnt lying about his perch in the weeb. this is a better article

[url "http://utahoutdoors.com/pages/perchfacts.htm"]http://utahoutdoors.com/pages/perchfacts.htm[/url]
[signature]
Doggonefishin has nailed it. Deer Creek and Yuba are the only waters that have been legally stocked with perch. Deer Creek was stocked with perch when a tanker car with bass fry also had some perch fry in it. That occured in the late 20's, early 30's. Yuba recieved its perch from Deer Creek in the late 70's when Charlie Thompson and Doug Sachguchi were doing some studies on Perch in Deer Creek. Doug was a graduate student at the time and he was looking at the spawning habits. He removed some eggs from Deer Creek and put them in Yuba. They were also looking at providing forage for a new Walleye fishery in Yuba. All the other introductions in the state are ILLEAGLE !! Utah lake has gotten perch through the Provo River from Deer Creek simply because it is down stream from DC.
What about Pineview?
[signature]
Newton reservoir
[signature]
Just curious if anyone knows when the law against " bucket biology " went into effect?
[signature]
Newton, Pineview, Mantua, Hyrum, Rockport ( echo down stream ), Johnson ( down stream from FL) are all illegal introductions. I am not sure about Mill Creek by FL, but would assume that it is illegal also !! DWR has not wanted perch to proliferate in the state and have not used them to stock new waters. Starvation may be an exception as they were looking to provide forage for the walleye after the chub began to disappear. The walleye in Starvation were planned , the walleye in Deer Creek were illegal !!
The perch in Starvation were illegal.

Sorry, had to post this one.[crazy]

From the UDWR fishing report:
Quote:Forsyth Reservoir
2013-01-10
Slow [red](Ya think??)[/red]
The reservoir was recently drained for irrigation needs, and the remaining water was chemically treated to remove illegally introduced yellow perch. The reservoir is now filling, but tiger and splake trout will not be available for stocking until next year.

I wonder how much has been spent trying to clean up the messes made by bucket biologists?
[signature]
So are the perch in Bear Lake there because of bucket biology or did they make there way in there through the Bear River? Will we see the eventual decimation of the endemic species similar to what happened with Fish Lake.
[signature]
The perch in Bear Lake have bee there for decades, I have heard many old locals talk of them when they were young.
[signature]
I believe it was Bearlakefishguy that told me that the perch in Bear lake came from a pond upstream. They washed into the lake after flood but I don't know if they were interduced into that pond legally or not. They have never done well there because there is not enough food for them there but the ones that you do catch are usually big.
[signature]
The information about deer creek is not acurate. Late 20's?????

Right off of the state parks web site

" Because of desperate water shortages along the Wasatch Front, the reservoir was approved by congress in 1935. Construction started in the spring of 1938 and was finished 17 years later in 1955, although water was available for use as early as 1941. "

Did they plant them in the river and just wait for the dam to be built?
[signature]
In 1968 or 69 when I was a youngster, I caught a Perch shore fishing by the Mustang Ridge campground at Flaming Gorge. Anyone else seen or heard of perch in the gorge?
[signature]
You signed up just for that? [crazy]
[signature]
No I didnt sign up for that. I have been reading these pages for awile and decided to give some info that was correct. After all I thought thats what people come here for was info.

I guess my first post should have said........Hi, I am new where can I catch a limit of 30" rainbows
[signature]