Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Bear Lake Saturday 1/19/13
Well I did it. I ice fished the rockpile for the first time in 3 years (the last time it froze). It was spooky going out in the fog at 9am without any trails, but I had a friend, a spud bar, rope, GPS and all my gear. There was no one out there this year since it only froze over a few days ago, but I took my time and worked my way out. Great fishing was to be had. I was not interested in snagging cisco, but you could have easily limited out if you had a spoon with a treble hook. We started at 45' and worked out to 70' and then back in to 61'. We caught cutthroat at all depths. The best lure was a jigging spoon (Tubedude, 1/2 oz, perch color) tipped with cisco. I also caught fish on charteuse 3/4 oz. double twister tailed jigs and white tube jigs. We fished until 2:30. I ended up icing 9 cutthroat and lost 3 others. The biggest was right at 7lbs, but 3 of the 9 were over 5lbs. All really nice fish today. Another group was catching cisco and whitefish right on tope of the pile. They also caught two huge perch (13"+). Ice was 2" thick and crystal clear and there was just a skiff of snow on it, but it was still slippery. I'll have to post pics later since my friend has them on his camera. It was foggy all day and we had to follow our trail back in. There were about 3-4 other groups of anglers (10 people total). If you're coming up, bring a GPS unit or you might not find your way around in the fog or worse yet, you might step into one of the springs (methane vents) that are here and there around Bear Lake. Not sure if Ideal Beach will let anglers park there or not, but we walked out from there since my friend is a member. Others walked out from the public access just north of Ideal Beach on 250 East Loop Street. I did not check the east side of the lake today, but it was the last area to freeze up. I did see a guy ice fishing it yesterday, but he pushed a boat out on the ice with him. Crazy if you ask me and a LOT of work too. Temps were +3 at the start of the day and +14 when we quit. Supposed to go sub zero tonight. Thats it for now.
[signature]
Great fish! Thanks for the report. I am going to try my luck in the morning.
[signature]
I love how you have the rope around you!! Smart! never can error on the side of caution.
[signature]
Great report thanks a bunch. Heard of any Cisco in netting depth yet? Will they be schooled up so you could jig them on the east side? I'm planning on taking my scouts Monday and I'm a little scared to take them out very far on thin ice. Thanks again. J
[signature]
BearLakeFishGuy you have a lot bigger set than i do!! 2" of ice a long ways from shore terrifies me. Glad to hear you caught a few. I think along with the rope around my waist i would have a float tube and waders. good to see you caught a few good ones.
[signature]
I never even knew there was perch in bearlake I work out of town and won't have a chance to get out there till 4 more weeks I hope the ice will stay that long so I can get out there
[signature]
and some grown up pampers!!!

Thanks for the report. Could put a new twist on the Disco this year.

I hit 2" of early ice - was fine till the lake had a big burp, and after that my son was ready to be done!

Hmmm, might have to run up the canyon!
Always appreciate your updates BLFG!
There are probably perch in every body of water in utah, but yes there are perch in bear lake! It's been a secret to a few for some time, there are not very many , but the ones in there are very large.
[signature]