Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eskimo Auger Gear Box Question
I have an Eskimo Ice Auger and I need to know how to check and replace the grease in the gear box.

Do you just remove the bolts on the bottom to get to the gears?

What grease do you use?
Any other tips would be helpful.

Also, the auger doesn't stop turning when at idle.
Will replacing the grease help this?
[signature]
Does anyone here do this maintenance?
[signature]
Sorry, I can't help you with your questions Dale but have you tried contacting the Eskimo web site?
[signature]
Yes I have. It gives very vague info about checking and adding grease to the crankcase.

It did say that if the shaft always turns, the springs in the clutch may need to be replaces.
I'm not a mechanic so I don't know enough about this to try it myself, without some help from others that have done it.
Otherwise, I may have to take it to the shop. That will probably set me back more than the old auger is worth.
[signature]
I just greased my Jiffy after 20+years. You gotta take the bolts ouit of the gearcase and separate it. Do so VERY carefully in case there happens to be a set of needle bearings in there that might try to come out. I just cleaned out the old grease with a rag and a little brake cleaner and replaced it with Lubriplate white grease that comes in a tube like toothpaste. As far as the auger turning all the time, that could be that it's idling too fast. Another problem could be old oil that has collected in the clutch and congealed with the clutch lining dust. If that's the case, that can be cleaned out by washing with brake cleaner. PM with my phone # sent. Gimme a call with questions.
[signature]
I'll vouch for Tom with helping you out. Tom really helped me out with getting my boat running last year, I'm sure an ice auger would be childs play for him.[Smile].
[signature]
I got your PM.
Thanks for your offer to help.
I will break it down and see if I can clean it and re grease it.
If I get stumped, I'll give you a call. Thanks again,
DKS.
[signature]
I broke down the gear box today. The grease was awful looking. It was full of gunk and filings.
I cleaned out all of the old grease in a solvent tub and replaced the old grease with new.

It wasn't that hard to do but it sure needed it done.

The auger still turns at idle speed though. The clutch is on the other side of the housing from the gears. I didn't do anything with the clutch side as it looked more complicated.
I didn't want to screw anything up.
I may have to take the auger to a shop to have the clutch looked at.

I suggest that everyone that owns an ice auger have the gear box maintained at lease every 2 or 3 years, depending on usage.
It will help keep the auger running for many years.

Thanks for your tips Geezer, it helped a lot.
[signature]
If the auger is turning at idle speed, there are one of two issues. Both are pretty minor.
1). The idle speed is too fast. Just turn a screw on the carb to slow it down so the auger won't turn.
2). If the idle speed seems about right, then the centrifugal clutch is sticking. Spray it was some brake cleaner and rev up the engine. Spray it again and it should be fine. I've had the same problem and I cleaned it a little bit and all way well.
[signature]
The idle is good. It has to be the clutch. When I broke down the gear box, I think that the clutch was on the outside of the gears box.
I saw a spring and some other parts that I believe is the clutch. There wasn't any grease on these parts. I sprayed a light coating of lube on it but it didn't help.

Do you spray yours while it is apart or is there a way to do it while everything is together?

Thanks for your help,
Dale.
[signature]