Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Access to the Gorge
I am going to head the bash of burbot.

I have a question of access. I have the 2WD car.

I was thinking Buckboard or Firehole.

I know it snowed today, but what kind of road conditions should I expect?

Is one side easier to access than the other?
[signature]
Not sure how much snow they got on the upper end of the reservoir. They typically plow both roads and if it doesn't snow, I think you'd be safe with either one. If it does snow, hwy 191, which is used to access Firehole, is one of the last roads plowed and doesn't receive weekend maintenance.

Good luck!
[signature]
I'll be going up next week in my ford focus for the tournament, and I'm thinking about access as well. I'm willing to walk quite a ways to get to my spot as well, but I'm hoping some of the dirt access roads will be available with 2 wd with chains.

Along the same thoughts is it safe to walk across the reservoir. I'm willing to walk within 3 miles to get away from crowds and pick my spots, and I would prefer to walk across the pond, but the pressure ridges scare the crap out of me. Do they run the length of the reservoir?
[signature]
Just depends where you're at really. There's a lot more pressure ridges further south, near Holmes, Anvil, etc than there are uplake (above Buckboard) right now. Of course it's weather dependent too, and fortunately we have some cold days to help firm things up.

Hope it helps, Ryno
[signature]
Access was perfectly fine a week and a half ago. And, based on camera images this morning, it does not appear that the area received any appreciable amount of snow to interfere.

A week ago there were several pressure ridges visible from afar just north of Holmes Crossing.

[inline farson.jpg]
[inline rs80.jpg]
[inline grtunnel.jpg]
[signature]
Sounds like crossing the pond at buckboard, then heading south will be in the works. Thanks!
[signature]