Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montpelier
Took my boys to Montpelier last week and they had a great time catching little perch. Ice was super thick and weather was warm. I'm thinking about taking them again on Saturday and was wondering if anyone has been out there the last day or two. I'm a little worried about slush and water on the ice with my little kids. Anyone know how the conditions are after these warm days we've had? Also any tips on catching a kokanee out of there?

Thanks!
[signature]
Hey BigEarl, I was up at Mont last Saturday. My wife and I both got limits of Koks. We were about 300 yards from the dam on the east side, you will notice a point over there. I had a guy tell me that you fish for the koks out deeper and fish for the perch more shallow. So we set up for perch in about 25 feet of water and went out to 30 to 35 for koks. What's interesting is if you drop down to deep you will hit the perch even in deep water. So I set my kok rigs at about 10 to 12 feet and it kept a lot of the perch off. We used pink jigs, and I doubled up two on each line. Mealworm with one piece of corn. When those koks would come through my three jawjackers would all go off at the same time. Once you pull one in get your line back in the water as fast as possible and start jigging, they will come right back or they will still be there. I broke my fourwheeler throught the edge of the ice because of the water standing, tires disappeared and I about filled my shorts, but four wheel brought me out. I would bring a plank just in case, got a sneaky suspicion there is going to be water on edges everywhere.
Be careful and have fun with those kids.

Happy fishing.
[signature]
Thanks for all the info! I think we are going to give it a try and see how it goes. I just hope we aren't wadding through water on top of the ice the whole time. Kids feet get wet and its all over!
[signature]