Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Abyss 2-1-13
[#0000FF]BFTer Waljustia and I decided we better get in our annual trip out to the "Abyss" on Utah Lake before the current warm spell made it impossible to get on the ice. He did some reconnaissance Thursday afternoon for a place to get his wheeler safely launched. After going through the ice up to his thigh in our usual spot he found a place where the ice was still solid right next to shore.

We loaded up one sled with our combined goodies, hooked it on the back of the wheeler and headed off across the trackless snow. At 7:30 the air temp was a cool 14 degrees and there was freezing fog in the air. Cool runnings indeed. A whole new meaning to "wind chill" as we motored out to the spot.

A cold-slowed GPS had Dave over-shooting the area we wanted to fish and we had to backtrack a hundred yards or so. But when we drilled our first holes we were in the magic 20 to 25 foot depth zone that has treated us well in the past. The center of the football field sized thermal spring has been measured at over 50 feet but the fish seem to prefer shallower water near where the sides rise up quickly to 8-10 feet.

We used our Showdown and Vexilar to shoot through the ice and map out the contours in a large area. Then we started drilling a series of test holes and sending down our jigs.

There were lots of fish on the sonar screens. My Showdown would go from 24 feet up to 16 feet at times when dense schools of white bass would move through. Unfortunately, most of the fish were "sub-toads"...dinksters...from about 5 to 7 inches. We had to be good...and lucky...to hook the occasional keeper...10" to 13". They all bit exactly the same so we could not differentiate on the hook set.

It started off slowly. The fish seemed to be just suspending and inactive. As the sun climbed higher and light penetration got better the fishing got faster. By late morning we were getting bit quickly on every drop. And on my tandem rig I caught quite a few doubles...but always two small fish. The larger ones came one at a time and they were few and far between.

As is often the case, pink was the best color. We both did best with a small "wobble jingle" pink jig head...with a 00 silver blade...and a 1 1/2 inch silver and pink plastic tube...sweetened with crawler. But we both caught plenty on other lures and colors. I took six rods and a bunch of different lures. I caught fish on all six rods and on at least 10 different lures...including a pale perch colored blade bait.

It was brutally cold and damp when we started, and the fog-frost froze on the lines of our extra rods in the rod holders. And until about 10:30 we still had to scoop ice from the holes frequently. Then it got toasty, the air was clear and we really enjoyed being out alone on the ice with a great view of Timpanogos and the camaraderie of old fishing friends.

We both kept a few larger whities to invite home to dinner but we didn't bring up any other species. In trips past we have caught quite a few catfish through the ice around that spring. Not this trip. I had one decent sized fish a few feet off the bottom before it let go. Inexperienced fish. Didn't know how to hang on. Could have been a walleye or a catfish. Cain't prove nuttin'.

On the run back in we took a big wide loop and ran up on a previously unknown spring. The water was open which would indicate a pretty good flow of warmer water to keep the ice off. Dave took the GPS numbers and plans to return for further research.

A few other folks out fishing the springs off Saratoga today. And some over in the channel by the pumphouse. But there is a major construction project going on there so you can't get there except by coming in the back way or in from the open lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey Pat, glad you got out on the UL. Great pics as always my friend.
[signature]
What a relief that must have been to see your second wife again. UL can be a tough and worthy mistress to have.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Thanks HGS. Hope you liked the pics of Lady T.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
always
[signature]
[#0000FF]Not sure I would refer to Utah Lake as a mistress. She is a dear old friend but definitely a homely one. And although she provides some fun interludes there are a lot of purtier and more esthetically pleasing "fishing holes" out there. And she has "carpies".

I guess if she wasn't so close and available I might not visit her as often. But sometimes it's "any port in a storm."
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Oh we won't tell her about tube-babe. [:p]
[signature]
Nice fish, but dang I would be a little nervous about running a 4 wheeler over the top of one of those spring holes.

You guys be safe out there!
[signature]
[#0000FF]It is never a good idea to run machines over the ice if you don't know the location of danger spots. Problem is, a lot of those weak spots don't show up like the one in the picture and you can get wet before you have any warning.

There are lots of unplanned dunkings on Utah waters every year. Not only from springs but from methane "bubblers" like on Bear Lake. The real problems come when there is a new snow fall that rests on the water and disguises it as safe ice. Splash.

The big spring that feeds the "abyss" is deep enough that the thermal flow is mostly cooled by lake water before it reaches the surface and leaves an opening. But it does sometimes weaken the ice and there were a couple of goose hunters that went through out there last year.

Thankfully, Dave is very familiar with the route out to the spot and knows that it is pretty safe with decent ice covering. We drilled through at least 8 to 10 inches of clear hard ice almost everywhere yesterday. Plenty thick for wheelers.

Appreciate your concern.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I noticed the pvc pole holder you have there. Pretty cool, but what is it like on the bottom. Can't see the bottom because it just goes into the snow. Do you have pics so one could see how to make some.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Still testing that one, but it looks like a winner.

I was using the "plain vanilla" model yesterday. But I have another model with "sideSaddle" holders for pliers and a vertical rod holder for rerigging. See the attached pics.

The basic frame is easy to make with low cost...only two 1/2" tees and two 45 degree angles...plus a few short pieces of 1/2" PVC. The key is to adjust the angle and length of the front legs to get the height and spread you want. Makes a very sturdy tripod that works well on snow or ice and is easy to pick up and move or position.

The whole thing revolves around the "quick draw" rod holder head I invented for my float tube fishing. It is made from a 3/4" to 1/2" T...with the cuts shown in one of the pictures. If you cut it right and Dremel it down smooth the rod end goes in and comes out easy, but the more a fish pulls down on it the tighter it holds.

There is also a pic of an added "stabilizer"...made from a 2.5# barbell weight. It just slides down over the vertical shaft and adds enough weight that it makes the holder almost impossible for a fish to pull in if you have the drag set on your reel.

I screw the base components together but leave the others for quick assembly and breakdown. You just bungee the parts together to ride in your sled without taking up too much room.

You can adjust the height of the holder by lengthening or shortening the vertical shaft. On windy days it is better to keep it low. But if you set them up beside your chair on a calm day you can make them just the right height for a "quick draw". It is important that you position the rear of the rod handle right at the edge so that you can quickly lift the rod up and out without it catching on the holder.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks so much. My wife and I marveled at your genius.
[signature]
Fish or no fish.. Utah lake is always beautiful in the winter. Thanks again for the fun trip.

And, a word of caution for anyone braving the ice.. be careful! You really should know the ice and the area before you just decide to venture out 2 miles on the ice. I see these joggers that like to go out on the lake to jog. They scare me the most. I am certain they are oblivious to the dozens and dozens of springs flowing into the lake. Watch for color/structure changes and avoid them. We talked with a guy just yesterday that his buddy went through.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Genius? Not really. Just a lot of experience with PVC construction and a constant effort to try new stuff.

I usually take pics of all my new projects so that I can duplicate them if they work. Plenty that get deleted for the other reasons.

I appreciate your appreciation.
[/#0000FF]

[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Thanks for the ride...and the fine companionship...as always. Good times.

Did you get the scouts out today?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice pic's and post, as usual Pat. That spring hole is scary looking.
[signature]
[left]great report and pics w/ advise. what fun.....

[/left]
[signature]
Glad ya got out on the annual trek without having to hoof it. Looks like still had some good fishing even though I was expecting to see multi species. Lots of them smaller guys this winter and harder to find the bigger ones. Beautiful pics of timp. thanks for sharing
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Thanks.

Yeah, the goal is always to bring in something besides white bass but I ain't proud. When ya ain't with the fish ya love, ya love the fish yer with.

It really was nice to be able to see the full glory of old Timp without all the smog. But that didn't last long.
[/#0000FF]

[signature]
This is very interesting could you point me in the right direction. Where do you park at. I want to see this abyss. Thanks
[signature]