Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hunt draw help
so i have only aplied for the utah state hunt draws once and im not shor how it works i want to appiy for a elk tag this year but they only show them as limeted entry dose this mean that all bull elk tags are $213 i know that is not rite so how do i aply for a non limeted entry tag? or do i just have to buy one when they go on sale? i have always just bot archery tags (Did not have a good rifle) but my grandpa gifted me a 7mm rem mag (wetherby vangard) and would love nothing more then to see me put it to work any help would be grate thanks
[signature]
You just go buy one when they go on sale. Depending on where you hunt it may be a spike only unit.
[signature]
thanks i dont need to hunt a monster bull i just thot that there mite be so triks to the aplication proses i konw i can buy a spike permit do you know wen they go on sale?
[signature]
Not sure exactly when they are available but there's no rush because there are plenty of them. Good luck.
[signature]
General season bull elk tags go on sale on June 27th for the price of $50.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
thanks alot bow nut i will plan on that and do my app for the deer hunt online today
[signature]
Post edited by Rileyfish
[signature]
Why is there no draw for the general season bull elk tags?
[signature]
Even though there isn't a draw for the tags it is still kind of limited. Except for archery tags which are unlimited the rest of the general season elk tags are capped with a number set each year by the wildlife board. So it is a first come first served sale that starts on the above mentioned date and stops when the tags run out.

So don't just think that you can go get a rifle or muzzy tag any ol time that you want to of you may be left out in the cold

IMHO I think that the state wanted to have atleast some tags for sale over the counter to help draw the hunters that won't bother with the draw and to help pull in some out of state hunters. But that is just me.
[signature]
The general season bull elk tags for most of the state is a spike tag. There are a few any bull areas but not many. Mature bull elk tags are sold through the drawing process as limited entry. Spike bulls are a single year age class. Back when you drew any bull tags you saw a lot of spike bulls because hunters chose to harvest more mature animals. Today on a spike only unit you wont see many spikes. They are there but it is not a given you will harvest one. It costs a lot more to hunt a mature bull. Maybe dollars had something to do with that decision. There was some talk about providing a viewing experince for the non-consumptive public. That always made me laugh but again thats just me.
[signature]
It's my opinion that the number of spikes available for harvest is dependant on the birth rate and mortality (winter kill & predators) of the previous years calf crop. Since the spikes that survived the hunt last year will be branch antlered this year.
I do understand your point that every hunter is gunning for a spike instead of some holding out for a mature bull. so the pressure is higher on the spikes. But there are a lot of those that won't shoot a spike so they hunt the any bull areas or not at all, if the don't draw a limited entry tag.
[signature]
thanks alot for all the info. i reilly need to fill a tag this year after i missed with my bow last year (my first archery deer hunt and i missed a 45 yard shot i was shaking like a leaf) my wife is beginning to dout my ability to kill an animal and is threatening to get her own tags and show me how it's done.
[signature]
Where and when are you planning on hunting?

I may be able to give some pointers if you are hunting close by.
[signature]
for my deer tags my first two chouses are rite arownd heber #1 to the west #2 to the east elk im not shor maby up by the berry or down by electric lake i am rellitivly know to hunting and utah for that mater but i want to work hard and fill my freezer with my own two hands i want to be more self sefishent and teach my kids were there food should come from i would love any help you can give i am planing on hunting the generol seson rifle hunt and im looking for meat i cant eat antlers thanks agen for the help you have given me and any futer helpsorry about the spelling the california school system lerned me well and my spell chec is not working for some reeson
[signature]