Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANOTHER AMAZING UTAH LAKE TRIP!!!
Today I felt like I was going too catch my limit of perch but I was wrong Sadly. Got to my spot fished close to shore around 3-5' in search for perch and blue gills. Well that failed. After bsing around drilling holes I decided to listen to tube dude and walk that 1 mile of torment. It wasn't fun walking there at all and back close to shore later. After walking that 1 mile with some random guy that was apparently a bfter "Mercuryman." I really appreciate a nice bfter drilling some holes with his gas auger so I wasn't going too die drilling 10" on my hand auger. [Wink]

After slaying all of TD wb and all release except 1 in the deep area that was 25'. I caught white bass on everything. Just surprised I caught more wb on just a plain 1/8 oz yellow head jig than with bait [crazy]. Yes I know call me crazy but it was true for me, with all the white bass and one catfish that was a dinker. It tried too eat Mercury man. It looks like the catfish needed more mercury.

We both and his kids as well caught too many white bass too the point it was boring so we departed. He wen't home while I stayed on a search for some crappie and bluegills. Hit on of my early year fishing spot and looky what I've noticed. BLUEGILLS AND CRAPPIE. It was just amazing and a relief that there were some nice gills and crappie too not cinch my body in wb. I left before dark because I had too walk far far far did I tell you far away from my car for those gill and crappie but it was worth ever scrap of meat for tomorrow dinner.

TUBE DUDE VS FFL trip. Idk who won [crazy]. At least tube dude loves his second wife still.
[signature]
I thought that was a nice crappie but it was hard to tell by my phone. Great job buddy. Where to next?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Looks like a good multi-species day. Nice work.

That's a bit of a hike out there, ain't it. Glad I had a ride on Friday. I would have never made it on foot. Gettin' too old for that stuff.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
So jealous.....
[signature]
I'm not sure where I will be going on next trip ha ha ha.

Maybe next weekend it's back to those crappies if they are still there [Wink]
[signature]
Oh you should of seen all my gear I had on my sled that I dragged clear out there and back some how. It's good for once this year that I got a good muti-species day and I'm looking for a multi-species day when the lake is open. Hopefully we will float together and catch some big kitties.

Trust me when I got home it felt like someone did surgery on my legs.
[signature]
[Tongue]
[signature]
It was great running into a fellow Bftr as well, the fishing was exactly as Tube dude described in his previous post about "The Abyss". The fishing was great it definitely kept the attention of my kids. Once the catching started the fish finder was black from 10ft to 25ft. The pink TD jigs tipped with crawler worked the best for us. Even with the walk it was another great day on UL. We kept about 50 whites total 6 were really nice the rest were 5 to 7". The smaller ones were actually easier to filet. Saved some for bait for use later the rest were turned into Ceviche. Sounds like I should have followed FFL to find his secret Crappie spot. Thank you TubeDude for your assistance!!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Glad you found it and that you got the kids into some action. Waljustia took his scouts out there early Saturday and they had a good time too. Some of them caught more fish in a couple of hours than they had caught the rest of their lives put together. Too bad there aren't more of the larger ones in the mix.

Ceviche. Man, I used to make that all the time but haven't made any for a while. Good way to use those smaller fillets.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TubeDude
I'll be working on your rod holder soon. I must have 5 or 6 pvc rod holders I've made and tried. I have one now that is working but yours looks like another to try out. Thanks for the pictures. Where on the big Utah Lake are you fishing, if you don't mind. I've asked for a map of other lakes around and you have great maps, showing points on the lake that have been very helpfull. I'm on BFT often I just don't post much. And I don't get out fishing as much as I want. Thanks,

Flashyfish
[signature]
I'm gonna have to hire a helicopter to take aerial photos and find the holes you guys drilled from overhead. I could sure use a place like this for when UL goes dead for me in the winter. And, a mile walk is just a nice warm up.
[signature]
Ya it was truly nice meeting another bfter as well but man it was so comfortable in that tent and leaving it wasn't so nice especially when the sun went down. Ha ha ha ya you probably would love to hit my crappie spot [Tongue]. Tube dude totally helped me find those dinkers that got me sick too my stomach and one dinky catfish that almost ate you alive ha ha ha.
[signature]
Looks like your going too spend hundreds of dollars for a helicopter just too find my holes. Ya the walk was harsh after the end of the day especially to find those crappie with all my ice boxes, a big tent, and a huge propane tank just in case if I stayed there for the night ha ha ha.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you like the rod holder. I have designed and tried dozens of different models. They all work, some better than others. The two main positives of this holder are 1. the tripod design...perfect 3-point stance on any surface. 2. The quick draw head that allows easy loading and removal of the rod.

I tried it once last year...on my last ice trip. I liked it but made a couple of minor adjustments. On this past trip I really put it through the paces...with both spinning and baitcast. By holding only the very tip of the rear handle it makes the whole rod one long spring bobber. Even the lightest inquiry registers. And when a larger fish takes it and pulls down it sets the hook and fights the fish for you until you get there. And even when you are excited you can pull the rod out of the holder without carrying the holder with you. I like it.

For almost any other spot on Utah Lake I would be happy to provide exact directions and maps. But this spot is Waljustia's discovery and he is a bit reluctant to give out GPS numbers. I fear I have already violated his confidence by giving the spot as much publicity as I have.

It's not like hot-spotting a small pond that cannot withstand a lot of pressure. Utah Lake is overrun with white bass and can take a lot more harvest. It's just that there ain't many places left around the lake where one can go to escape the trashers and the happy harvesters. And even though that spot does require some serious effort to get to, that will not deter the crowd that wants to fill a sled with fish.

Most of our past trips have been by hiking out over slick ice or hardpacked snow that did not leave much of a trail...and our tracks were usually covered within a day or so by a new storm. This trip, with the wheelers, left a trail that anybody can follow...and apparently others are doing just that. But unless somebody gets ACCURATE GPS numbers they will have a difficult time ever finding it again. Even Dave has tried finding it himself by using shoreline triangulations...and he has never come within a half mile of it without GPS. The spring does not show on the surface of the ice so it all just looks the same out there.

Probably not more than another week or two that anybody can get out there this year. And it does not freeze well enough some years to allow safe access. But if you know where it is, and how to find the fish it can be fun and productive.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks I understand. I haven't fished Utah Lake for years, and we always catch a few to a bunch. Since I don't eat most fish I try to leave them all in the pond. And I'll be trying the pole holder out and see if can change anything. But I knows I'll like it. I'm not going to put the holders on it since I have those on my ice sled. I'd like to break it down into 3 pieces for easy treansport. Thanks again.
[signature]
If any of you guys are missing any jigs while fishing at the Abyss, let me know. I'm sure someone wants it back cause it a good amount of jigs.
[signature]