Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What gas do you use?
I have been researching ethanol in gas and it is bad stuff. I knew that it was not the best but I didn't know that it was poison to a outboard that was made for it. I had one bout of bad gas last year and so this winter I have found a great web age.

http://pure-gas.org/

This site has ethanol free gas stations. I have put most of them in my GPS so if I need boat gas I can find it. I was super happy to find a gas station here in Buhl that has ethanol free gas. SO what have you been using in your tank? Ron
[signature]
I just use premium with a product called "Startron" One bottle treats up to 512 gallons and it fights off ethenol issues. My motors run very well and in fact the all run better than they ever have.
[signature]
[quote jaklakmak]I just use premium with a product called "Startron" One bottle treats up to 512 gallons and it fights off ethenol issues. My motors run very well and in fact the all run better than they ever have.[/quote]

+1 Chevron mid grade with Startron
[signature]
Check out this video. Ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCyFxoWPpo
[signature]
Ethanol is terrible on fuel lines and carbs that aren't designed for it. Most premium fuel you can get without it. We run into tuning issues with it on snowmobile engines. Two strokes will need to be rich ended up to keep them from burning down as it leans out your fuel mixture .
[signature]
The gas station in Hansen sells eth free gas. United Oil will deliver it to your house if you have a farm tank, farmers don't use eth gas, how about that for irony. Eth destroys 2 stroke motors regardless what additives you use, it causes condensate and that has to burn, that's why the mixture is screwed up. They amount of water absorbed from the air varies to much to regulate.
[signature]
[quote dtayboyz]The gas station in Hansen sells eth free gas. United Oil will deliver it to your house if you have a farm tank, farmers don't use eth gas, how about that for irony. Eth destroys 2 stroke motors regardless what additives you use, it causes condensate and that has to burn, that's why the mixture is screwed up. They amount of water absorbed from the air varies to much to regulate.[/quote]"Starton". Check it out. It keeps gas with ethenol from absorbing moisture in the air.
[signature]
E-10 Ethanol-Enhanced Gasoline
Ethanol-enhanced gas, referred to as E-10, is now available in most markets. Ethanol, also known as ethyl alcohol, is a high-octane fuel additive. Compared to 100% gasoline, E-10 provides less power and causes a decrease in fuel efficiency. This is because ethanol produces less energy than gasoline; it simply cannot deliver the same performance of 100% gasoline. This also explains why a decrease in fuel economy is not uncommon when switching to E-10 fuel. However, Star Tron® solves both issues. The enzymes allow for a more complete burn of the fuel – both the gas and the ethanol - resulting in maximum performance. A more complete burn of the fuel also means less wasted fuel either in the form of carbon deposits or emissions, so fuel efficiency is also maximized.
[#FF0000]In addition to a loss of power and economy, E-10 can cause other problems. [/#FF0000][#FFFF00][#FF0000]Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning that it will attract water from the air, which is absorbed into the gas. The water bonds to the ethanol, becoming heavier than gas and the mixture sinks, lowering the octane level and causing performance problems. This is Phase Separation. Cold temperatures will accelerate this separation. Ethanol is also a potent solvent that will loosen old gum and varnish deposits, which can darken the fuel and foul filters and fuel injectors with large particles. The mixture of ethanol, water and particles can form a gelatinous sludge layer on the tank bottom that can block filters and damage your engine. During operation, Star Tron’s® powerful enzymes allow water to be dispersed throughout the fuel as sub-micron sized droplets that are safely eliminated as the engine operates[/#FF0000].[/#FFFF00] They also slowly break down the sludge, cleaning out your fuel tank while restoring the gas’ combustion characteristics to insure proper and safe engine operation.
Important Notes
During the initial treatment, sludge and other deposits that are dispersed may cause plugging or loading of fuel filters. Check fuel filters at the first sign of diminished performance and carry extra filters for convenient replacement. Once your system is clean, your filters will last longer and smoke and soot will be drastically reduced.
[signature]
I have seen so much bad info about ethanol that I had to look up all the stations. I talked to the manager at a local station. He said not all premium is ethanol free. His station has ethanol premium. You have to look for the sign. He also said that ethanol free stations are charged an extra fee because they take ethanol free gas.
The problem is some stations that are more out of the way types don't rotate gas as often. If they keep ethanol too long it will condense and have water in it.

The pure gas web page I posted has the names of all the stations. Here in Buhl we have Kelly oil. The gas station at Rogerson is ethanol free. There are many more. I still use stabilizers but I don't use ethanol any more for my ATV's, boat, lawn equipment or generator. I have a 88 toyota that is now getting premium ethanol free gas. I am impressed at the change in it. It runs better, I changed during the cold snap and it idled better started better. It doesn't lope while idling like it used to.

My 2.6 HP motor ran great into the hole. I went to leave and had to put in a bottle of gas. I started it up and after about 1/4 mile it died. I started it back up and it ran about 1 mile and died. After that it ran the last 5 miles no trouble. I closed the valve and ran it out. Then I dumped out the gas. I hope I hope that it will be ok when I start it up again. I have a new 4 hp 2 stroke that I don't plan to ever use ethanol in. I can't wait to see how it pushes my boat. Ron
[signature]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2BXuI52fOI

Why I like gas.
[signature]
We have a lawn tractor that can use ethanol and had a can. Wife needed gas for the old 2 stroke golf cart she uses around the place and grabbed that can because the good can was empty. A few days later her cart was dead and I haven't got it running again yet. I guess I will rebuild the carb for starters.
[signature]
Where do you find the startron? Ron
[signature]
The cheapest crap I can find cut 50/50 with water[Smile]
[signature]
[quote idahoron]Where do you find the startron? Ron[/quote]

Wally World carries it.
[signature]
I have worked on small engines for years and could rebuild the carbs with out any problems. Now if I get one to work on I just get a new carb and install it. My customers pay a little more in parts and less in labor, but are far more happy with me in the end. You also could leave gas in a plastic gas can outside in the summer for as long as needed, now when it is really hot, one to two weeks is the limit before it goes bad.
[signature]
Aviation fuel is what, we run in the Boat. Lake Havasu style. Kinda, hard to fish at 84 mph. But, the girls dig it. [Wink]

Idaho
[signature]
[quote idahoron]Where do you find the startron? Ron[/quote]Amazon is the cheapest I have been able to find it at.
[signature]
[quote Idaho]Aviation fuel is what, we run in the Boat. Lake Havasu style.

Idaho[/quote]Don't you mean avgas? Regular "aviation" or "jet a" is more like kerosene and will rip a regular gas engine to threads. avgas however is closer to what the old leaded gas used to be @ 100 octane.
[signature]
You are right on. Sorry, for the confusion. The fuel, seems make those Ten piston's. Hit, just right.

Idaho
[signature]
My boat has some ethanol gas in it this winter I put stabil ethanol treatment in it but I am nervous to say the least.
[signature]