Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float Tube Upgrade
I have had a very simple round boat for about 6 years and it has been great for me, but I think it is time for an upgrade. I am thinking I want a Uboat. Anybody have any good tubes that they would recommend?
[signature]
It is not a U boat but I like the Outcast Fishcat 4.
A quick story. I was floating down the snake river with mine. I have three friends with me. Two of them were my son and my 28 year old friend that runs in Marathons. My son also runs in triathlons. Well as we floated down river I wanted to cross to fish the other side. I did and caught a few catfish the boys followed. I decided to cross again and the boys followed. The boys caught up with me and said they were not crossing again. They were wiped out they could not do it again.

The V design of the FC4 cut right through the water and did it easy enough for this old man to get across easy even though it was HEAVY loaded. The blunt back on the U tube whipped those guys down. Long story made longer. The V style with good heavy PVC bottom rocks. Ron

[Image: 26inchSlimjim.jpg]
[Image: Theboat.jpg]
[Image: Jacobssecondkitty.jpg]
[signature]
How much? And how much you and your gear gonna weigh?
[signature]
Two years ago I was in the same situation ready to upgrade from my old round boat.. i looked and looked and ended uo goint with a pontoon boat instead.. ive never looked back since... if you keep your eye on craigslist and ksl you can usually find a gently used one for just as much or sometimes less if your lucky then a good new float tube.. just my opinion
[signature]
I am 6'5 and about 250 but I normally don't have a lot of hear with me maybe like 10-15 pounds of gear.
[signature]
im only 5'6" 195lbs and i felt trapped in a tube, pontoons are so much more comfortable in my opinion, and much less work to move around
[signature]
You are a big guy! About the size of Tube Dude and he has done very well with a Fat Cat or the Super Fat Cat, but he has added an easy extra floatation for more gear. Check the Tube forum.
My suggestion is get one with a good outer cover, and Urethane bladder as it with support more weight, not as effected by altitude or temperature as a Vinyl bladder.
But you will pay more for this feature.
One last suggestion for the tube would be the 2013 Predator by NFO. It weighs 6 lb and is 6' long when inflated and will support at least 600 lbs.

A pontoon is a serious thought. If weight and pack ability is an issue, there are many frameless pontoons on the market that are very slick. Easy to pack, inflate and light weight.
Just remember to roll them up not fold them up.

Good luck on your search and tight lines
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]As already mentioned, I am of "generous" size myself...and I have pretty well standardized on the Outcast Super Fat Cats for about 10 years. They are rated up to 350 pounds and will float someone of your size very efficiently. I have added additional floatation (boat cushions under the front) mainly because I have also added an electric motor and heavy series 27 battery.

You mention "U-boat". I suspect you are lumping all open-end craft under that heading. And, as has been suggested, there are different designs...which include the "V-boats", such as the Fat Cats. Most of us would suggest the latter because of the improved navigation and tracking.

I am attaching a 1-page writeup on some of the main considerations between tubes and pontoons. Your ultimate choice should reflect the waters you will be fishing, your preferred style of fishing and whether or not you need bigger and heavier...etc.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Ya I did kind of group u boats with v boats. I am more interested in a v boat. Thanks for all the help guys.
[signature]