Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What lures would i use in the Spring?
Hello All,<br>What types of lures, and lure sizes work best in the spring? Also would trolling be as affective as it would in the summer?<br>I will be fishing in a river in michigan, as soon as the ice thaws.<br>Thanks<br><br>
Try using a jig (size depends on the current ) and a minnow. Try finding a wash board effect bottom, and anchor upstream and let 10 ft of rope ( should have a 100 to 200 ft rope with a heavy enough anchor ) at a time. What you want to do is try to find the low spots, thats where the fish like to lay, or try to find a eddy ( slow moving water caused by a bend in the river, or a obsticale like a rock or a fallen tree). Pulling crankbaits also will work in cold water, but you might want to try on the smaller size ones, and dont forget that you can use a bottom bouncer if you have problems getting it down to the strike zone! Dont forget that a lot of big females are caught at that time of the year, so remember to bring a camera, a picture lasts a life time, eating it doesnt. Keep your rods bent !!!!! Flagmanonice<br><br>
what are you fishing for?<br><br>[cool] “Don’t forget to wiggle your jig.” davetclown
I was referring to the walleye!<br><br>
Frog patterned lures<br><br>
For river fishing I like to tie my own leaders at home.<br>I will use a #4 arbordein hook<br>Colored spoons<br>Colored beads.<br>twelve pound test leader line fifteen pound test reel line.<br><br>I will put 5 – 7 beads (depending on spoon size) then a spoon (spinner) then 2 – 3 beads, for bait I will use a leach, crawler, or minnow. <br><br>Experiments with color variations dose seem to make a difference form one day to the next or one area to the next.<br><br>All these products are available here at <A HREF="http://www.BIGFISHTACKLE.com" target="_new">http://www.BIGFISHTACKLE.com</A><br><br>If the wind is right (follows the river) I will drift down river using an egg sinker tied above my swivel to bounce off the bottom of the river.<br><br>or troll about 7 miles per hour down stream 3 miles per hour up stream.<br><br><br><br>[cool] “Don’t forget to wiggle your jig.” davetclown
I almost forgot make up extra leaders and pack extra egg sinkers (different sizes at least half dozen each from 1-ounce to 3-ounces) extra swivels. You will catch the bottom no ifs and or butts about it.<br><br>[cool] “Don’t forget to wiggle your jig.” davetclown
Good idea. To further avoid snags, try using the "wire-weight" rig. Its essentially a stiff wire with a lead weight attached in the middle (wts from 3/4oz to 2oz), and this gets attached to a 3way swivel. To one loop on the swivel attach your leader, or Daves rig, and the other loop attach to your line/reel... Great way to keep the baits down, and only the tip of the wire bangs the bottom... (virtually no snags)..<br><br><br>[laugh]
[cool] when did hey come up with that idea?<br><br>The one that I have has the sinker at the bottom of the wire. that got stuck on the bottom more than the slip sinker. <br><br>Where I fish the bottom is riddled with broken concreat.<br><br>[cool] “Don’t forget to wiggle your jig.” davetclown
Hey,<br>Thanks for all the tips<br>I've got a couple of the wire weights and have never gotten stuck with them. <br>Dave, I played around with your idea about using colored spoons and beads and found a combination I really think might work, I would post a pic but I dont think I can do that on this board. If there is a way, let me know<br><br>
[cool] i'll check them out thanks rob<br><br>[cool] “Don’t forget to wiggle your jig.” davetclown