Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake conditions and fishing report 2/8/13
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
Friday, February 08, 2013

Bear Lake Fishing Report:

Ice on Bear Lake is holding up and still growingthicker. The average thickness is about8-10” in most areas of the lake with little snow on the ice resulting in a veryslippery surface. Be careful along theedges at the Utah State Park marina and around spring/vent holes, but the restof the lake is solid. It is hard tobelieve, but there were a few anglers still dip netting cisco off the CiscoBeach as of Friday morning. The fishwere there right at daybreak and they are thinning out and quite skiddish. It was necessary to have another helper jig alure in the hole while the other person netted fish. Anglers reported that you can still snaglimits of cisco right on top the rockpile in about 45’ of water.
Fishing has been fair for both cutthroattrout and lake trout. Best luck iscoming from deeper water off the rockpile (80-95’) and the earlier in themorning the better. Other good spots totry for trout included the new rockpiles just north of the marina (about 40’ ofwater), and along the southwestern shore just north of the rest area (60-70’ ofwater) A few anglers reported catching whitefishusing small jigging spoons (Swedish pimples and castmasters) tipped with amaggot or night crawler off the weed beds at the pump house in about 20-30’ ofwater.

Garden City Community Fishery Pond
Frozen and ice thickness can vary due to aerators in the pond. Be extremelycareful. Water levels are low.

Laketown Reservoir
Frozen and 10” thick. Be careful around the inlet, but the rest of the pond issolid. Jigging with typical ice flies or small spoons tipped with Gulp maggots and night crawlers has worked well forrainbows. You can access the reservoir with 4 wheel drive vehicles. Some fish are up to 2.5 poundswith the majority being about 12-14”.
[signature]
This is indeed rare for BL to be this iced up. I hope to hit it next weekend looking for the white fish though, still need my annual breakfast fix.
[signature]
whitefish and spam?

spamity spam....

Always love the Bear Lake reports. Appreciate the information. Sure would love to get in on more of the action. So maybe it's not too late still!

thanks.
Thanks BLFG, I hadn't been out for a while. Thanks for the great reports!

[signature]
Glad to hear the ice is still on. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
I was wondering if it was a necessity to have Cisco to caught fish right now
[signature]
Not a necessity but it doesn't hurt your odds, I've got fish this week on mealworms, sucker meat, and many fish baitless or with scent only, don't be afraid to try a bare spoon or tube for big fish.
[signature]