Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing plugs in Merc Optimax
For those of you who work on your own motors ... I have had great difficulty in changing plugs on my Optimax 175. Lots of tubes and wires in the way that makes it really difficult to get the plugs started in straight. Learned the hard way that the heads are aluminum and unforgiving.

Any tips on tools or tricks to get the plugs started straight?
[signature]
Use a piece of rubber hose that fits snug over the end of the spark plug and use this to start the spark plugs. Also use anti-seize on the threads of the spark plug. FYI, a little ant-seize goes along way. Make sure the spark plugs thread in all the way, before you put any type of tool on them. If this does not work it may be easier to remove the bottom cowling on all Mercury 2.5L Opti's.
[signature]
I thank you so much. I really like to work on my own equipment in so far as I can, but getting these plugs back in has been a miserable experience. Two years ago I accidentally cross threaded one and the aluminum was so soft I couldn't distinguish whether it was cross threaded or not. Needless to say that resulted in a new head.

I think the anti-siezure compound will help a lot along with the rubber hose will really help to get them started. Am ready to start getting the boat in order for 2013. Looking forward to an early trip to Powell in March. Thank you again, Trueblue2
[signature]