Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber 2-15-2013
Fished the Weber today a mile or so above Taggarts where the dirt road goes under the Highway Bridge. Got there about 10:30 and fished until 1 PM. I caught 3 White Fish and had a few missed strikes. From there we headed up to Coalville but didn't catch anything in the Camperworld area. There seemed to be more water flowing above Echo and definately less moss in the water. The fish I caught were on a size 16 Rainbow Warrior and my buddy caught one on a sow bug. What a great day it turned out to be.
[signature]
Whitey wackin' is very fun on the weber, because they hit everyday and they get pretty big.
[signature]
I'll take white fish any day over getting skunked. Did you ser any risers.
[signature]
No I did not see any fish rising but saw a few midges flying above the water.
[signature]
I fished another section down in the morgan area and killed the big brownies (15-20 in.). Any nymph worked, but i preferred a large size 10 princy. I am thinking they were mistaking it for a stonefly nymph. Fish were rising occasionally but no with the consistency required for me to throw a dry on!

Still have yet to get a weber cutty!!
[signature]
Yeah everyone thinks I'm crazy but a size 10 prince will just clean up year round on the Weber and a lot of other places in Utah. I also think it works as a stonefly and salmonfly nymph very well. I'm pretty sure I've read stone and salmonflies have a 2 year cycle in the stream before the hatch so fish are used to seeing them year round.
A couple years back I got into a leading edge of a massive salmonfly hatch on small stream unexpectedly. Landed a good 40-50 fish in an hour all on a size 10 prince as didn't have any salmonflies dries or nymphs with me.
Plus everyone else is using the little nymphs to fish and they get used to that.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Yeah everyone thinks I'm crazy but a size 10 prince will just clean up year round on the Weber and a lot of other places in Utah. I also think it works as a stonefly and salmonfly nymph very well. I'm pretty sure I've read stone and salmonflies have a 2 year cycle in the stream before the hatch so fish are used to seeing them year round.
A couple years back I got into a leading edge of a massive salmonfly hatch on small stream unexpectedly. Landed a good 40-50 fish in an hour all on a size 10 prince as didn't have any salmonflies dries or nymphs with me.
Plus everyone else is using the little nymphs to fish and they get used to that.[/quote]

Dang! you are good. Landing a fish in a smidge over a minute for a solid hour![Wink]
On a serious note, great info on the Prince Nymph and stonefly association.
[signature]
Well they where almost all 14-16 inch browns in pocket water. I don't think any fish under 20 inches has ever taken more than a minute for me to land. Seriously how long can it take to land a 15 inch fish? I'd say if you're taking more than 15 seconds routinely you need to work on your fish landing skills a bit.
Yes that's a bit less than a fish a minute but strikes were certainly more than 1 a minute- just didn't hook and land but about half.
As far as being good- part of it was luck stumbling on the leading edge of a totally unfished salmonfly hatch.
[signature]
Oh I agree it doesn't take long to land a fish in the right circumstances. I might need to work on my skills however, as I have never come on to a solid hour of straight fish landing non stop. But as you pointed out, my skills are not up to yours
I would love to share some water some time and watch first hand. Thanks
[signature]