Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PoweLL or Sand??
I was all packed and ready to leave for Powell when I got a call from a friend.. He wanted to fish a tournament at Sand Hollow, it took me about half a second to say I was already packed..
We got to Sand about 1:30pm and was on the water, we fished and graft as much of the lake as we could but no bites and no bass could we find..
Saturday we headed for a spot that was well known we joined about 15 other boats that was fishing that same area and on our first cast we had a double, we could only take one fish each to the weigh in.. The first weigh in was at 11:00 and another one at 4:00 so all you could weigh was 4 bass per boat..

We caught over 40 bass and ended up in 5th place with over $300. + to split, it was a great day..
P.S. the air temps was 65 and lots of sun, AND NO ICE..

.[inline P2160003.JPG]
[signature]
Congrats on placing in the money and having a good day on the water. You should still have time to hit Powell. If you hit it on a nice day it should be great fishing. What did the 4 fish you weighed in weigh? Look like some decent fish. Thanks for the post.
[signature]
If you want to enjoy one last year of good largemouth fishing at powell you had better get don there this year. The bioligist down there was saying that with the water still dropping and that resulting in a lack of cover that the largemouth will behaving a few hard years ahead.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Yup, the fishing got very good again after some leaner years because we had low water. The big water year a couple years ago resulted in some new flooded vegetation and the fishing went banannas. As you said with the water dropping , lack of vegetation and cover for forage fish, less than great spawning conditions it will go downhill until we get a couple good water years again.
[signature]
We had 10# of weigh for the 4 bass..
[signature]
Not sure on that, the biologist also said the Gizzard shad would ruin the lake as well..
[signature]
[url "http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=27&func=view&catid=8&id=48062"]http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=27&func=view&catid=8&id=48062[/url]

So you are tellingme that you know better than the biologist that lives and works there day in and day out?

In this thread it seems that he is saying the exact oppisite of what you seem to think that he had said.

[url "http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=27&func=view&catid=8&id=50919"]http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=27&func=view&catid=8&id=50919[/url]

I quote right out of his own post.

"The bigger answer is that having the second forage species has definitely increased game fish health and physical condition. Their presence is very beneficial."
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I did not say all..But most of them did say that, like they do about any and all fish that is not a cut or bow..

Even Wayne when the shad was first found..

The bass did great in Powell (LM bass) till the stripers eat the shad all but out of the lake and the SM bass was put in, then the LM bass went down hill fast..

But that is only how I seen it, hind site works better then the head in the sand anytime..

Not sure what level the lake is at now but the brush goes down to 180' from full pool and we have the run off to come yet ..
[signature]
Nice Job!!! I was down there on Staurday durning the tournement but not in it. I was the crazy guy in the float tube acourding to a few guys in the parking lot. It was fun pulling up and seeing almost every boat fishing the tournement in a 50 to 100 yard circle fishing the same spot. Fished around the Big Island Caught one really nice Bass It was over 20 Inches in 24 Ft. of water wish I had a scale and one more 11 incher. Very light bites. Only fished the morning I had a tee time to get to.
[signature]
I was watching you, but you know that was a great fish you got..Looks like around 5 to 6lb but know matter how big, they are a lot of fun..
[signature]
Ya even better it was nice being on the soft water again in 60 degree weather and fresh air can't wait to get to powell soon and back down south
[signature]
You guys are killing me. 60s, sunny, and nice bass to boot?! That sounds like heaven. Still nice and frozen solid up here in Cache Valley. Oh well, a couple more months I hope and I'll get into them too. Congrats to you both on some gorgeous fish.
[signature]
Thanks but I hope the ice is gone by the middle of next month .
[signature]
Oh most definitely, the sooner the better. I don't know though, it has only gotten above freezing a couple of days during the last two months up here. I'll settle for an afternoon of slimers without my rod guides freezing at this point.
[signature]
The first good days we get I plain on heading down to Powell, but we need 3 or 4 with out wind would be great..
[signature]
Well I got my ice auger running and got a few wax worms and have not even went ice fishing..

Powell or sand is well worth the trip..
[signature]
Hey, I know that guy! I fished with him during a TBF tournament on Lake Powell (he got that hat at that one). Great guy, very knowledgeable. I think his name was Don?
[signature]
Thats him..
[signature]
Love his sweat shirt too. Good Job both of you are you going down to qualifier?
[signature]
And of course, I had the same crappy luck on Friday as everyone else, and chickened out and went home that night. I knew it... Just freaking KNEW that I should have stayed overnight and hit it again on Saturday. *sigh*

Glad you boys got into 'em.
[signature]