Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Catching Reports (3)
Well the fishing on Bear Lake started to pick up last week, so I dedicated myself to some serious ice fishing this past holiday weekend. Weather all weekend was blue skies and sunny. Started off each day either below zeor or in the low single digits and went up to about 20, but the sun was nice and warm. Ice was at least a foot thick everywhere we fished. We were in the "rockpile" area each day. A huge thanks to Ira who picked up one of my tackle boxes that bounced out of my sled on the way out Monday. Sure glad I had a small "return address label" on it so he knew who it belonged to. Here are the reports and just a few pictures.

Friday - Fishing was very good. Started off the day in 53' and moved out to 76'. Caught several 6 cutts and one nice laker. Fished by myself. Camera was too cold to take pictures. Talked to some friends who were in shallower and they did well on cutthroat/lakers/whitefish.

Saturday - Fishing was only "good" today. I fished with Chris the math professor. Started off in 72' of water and caught one nice laker. Then it slowed down so we moved in to where my buddies were the day before. We caught about 10 cutts and one laker. Plus we were able to catch enough whitefish for a nice lunch and even donate a couple to Fish1on for his annual whitefish and eggs breakfast.

Monday - Fishing was excellent. Fished with Brian. Started off with a cutthroat, a big whitefish, and another cutthroat in 3 successive "drops". (5 minutes max.). Finally got my second rod down. Then it was pretty much non stop action for cutts, whitefish and lakers. I kept 10 whitefish for the smoke and let everything else go. Was joined by a few friends and we all did great.
[signature]
Great report. Thanks for the update. I was hoping they would start gettin hungry.
[signature]
Man, I should have followed you. We knew the west side would look like a Salt Lake subdivision so went to the east side. Fished from Rainbow Cove to South Eden and got one bite for our troubles. Didn't see anyone else with a fish.

Come dark we were the only ones left on the ice.
[signature]
Hey Don. I haven't seen you in ages. Had any runaway snowmobiles lately? LOL. If you're out fishing you are welcome to join us anytime.
[signature]
Ha! I'v e been trying to forget that trip. At least it only broke a few windows and didn't make it through to the cabin's living room! The durn thing still runs but I haven't found a replacement hood or guages. Too old. Horses ate the seat last winter so it's retired.

I'll take you up on the fishing trip.

Don
[signature]
It sure was nice to talk to you scott glad I was able to get you your tackle box back. You'll have to show me sometime on how to catch those whitefish out there after we talked to you we moved in to about 50ft and I got one cutt that was 16" so I didn't go away skunked
[signature]
Nice to get a chance to say "howdy" and see a little of the master in action! You sure have that lake dialed in! Maybe shoulda sat closer and watch how it really done!

Ktrout was kind enough to drag my sorry backside up there, and we started the morning further south - I think it's along Rondezvous beach. Real quiet on sonar, not a nibble. Not many folks out there.

So we moved up and joined the party at the rockpile. We got out to 50ft, and plunked some holes. Ktrout hooked up a cisco - by the mouth even. Saved from the skunk! (it counts). Saw fish move in and out, but not much for bites. I got one good solid hookup and was almost up to the hole, and she unbottoned. Grr. That tweren't no Perch size fish neither! There was some real weight there.

Had a mark playing about 10 feet off bottom, so I pulled up to taunt it, and pow - fish on. Lifted up my pole as I reached down to yank the transducer, and pop - that's all she needed. Another freed fish. Guessing the first was a whitefish, and the second a Cutt or Laker - but again - heavy fish, that much I could tell!

I haven't caught much for big fish through the ice, and had high hopes. Still itching to try some of that smoke whitefish I hear ya'll carry on about!

Day will come.

Forgot my sunglasses - and paid for it pretty good, after a half day at Newton, and pretty full day on the Bear - I look like that guy in the Carl's Jr commercial - with the grilled fish sammich. I had mine FRIED!
Great report as usual BLFG. We have booked a room at the lodge and will be up next weekend. Plan on fishing the Rockpile one day and the pump house the next.Tight lines.
[signature]
Good seeing ya Scott and meeting Chris....great people!

Thanks again for the whitefish but after moving a couple more times later in the afternoon I was able to hook into a few more and a cutt to boot. Not as nice as Chris's but it ran three times on me and gave me quite a fight on 4 LB test.

Lost power Sunday morning so I bagged the ice fishing and went back to Roy early for my breakfast feast. I honestly think that whitefish, two over easy, and toast could be a daily thing for me! WAAAAAY better than tomatoe soup! LOL
[signature]
Couple shots: Breaking trail at the break of dawn.
[inline "Break of Dawn.jpg"]

Someone left a couple to "chill" in their ice holes.
[inline "A cold one.jpg"]