Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Tips
Heading to Yuba on Thursday. Anyone have a recent report? How's the ice with the warmer weather? What's a good area to find some perch?

Any advice would be treated as gold. I have never dipped my line in that lake. This is when I cross my fingers and hope that TubeDude reads this post[cool].
[signature]
I fished there on saturday from about 8 to 6 and didn't catch a thing. i moved around all over the place by the painted rocks ramp from 7 ft of water to 35. I only marked 1 fish all day on the sonar which was really weird. one grabbed a chub off of the tip up but got a free meal. I was after pike but couldnt seem to find any at all. I didn't see any perch either.

That freakin lake is so hit and miss it drives me nuts. We even fished where the guys pulled out 11 pike and not a damn thing. A few weeks ago we caught some by the dam and had better action but the DNR said we were the only ones in that area that did.

Make sure to bring the steel leaders and not lose some fish like i did.
[signature]
[#0000FF][cool]Good news...bad news.

The good news is that temps have stayed low enough to keep the ice solid. However, you will be going during a warming period so the edges may get a bit thin...especially by late afternoon. That is usually the condition at the ramps this time of year. You may have to walk along the shore a ways to find a better spot for getting off the ice.

The bad news is that if you are going after perch you are about 6 or 7 years late. There was a pretty good perch cycle for a couple of years...after the big drawdown and replanting. Then the exploding pike and carp populations put a smackdown on the perch. These days it is rare to catch even one or two perch in a full day of aggressive searching.

Lots of pike. But you can't catch them where they ain't. If you can find a congregating spot or an underwater pike highway you can set up and catch multiples in a day of fishing. Use rattling crankbaits, spoons or jigs tipped with chub meat. Or fish whole minnows rigged just above the bottom...on wire leaders.

Pike are not far from spawning. They usually spawn early...right after iceout. So they may be moving in more shallow near coves with south-facing shoreline. Those warm first after iceout. Use your sonar and your auger to prospect in the same areas you see evidence of other heavy drillin' and chillin'. Then move around until you find fish.

Good luck.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the advice!
[signature]