Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon wheel ??
Fairly new here
Doing the SEARCH and not finding some of the pics.

Working once again on a ODC 816 and wanting now to make a transport wheel.

So let me see your ideas ...Please
You can see some of my mods
[Image: 386d3ff2.jpg]

Thanks in advance
David
[signature]
I can't help on the wheel design, but I really like your back deck/motor mount. Do you have some detail pictures of it? What is it made of, and how big is your motor? Nice setup!

I got excited and posted before I was done.....

TD has several designs that he did for tubes. Most use the wheels off of used golf carts. Do a search for TubeDude and tube carts.

Also welcome to BFT. There is a lot of good information here and lots of great people.
[signature]
Thanks
Aluminum plate.. And a evening at friends sheet metal shop.
I'll get some measurements later.
Small ubolts attach deck to rear frame... So you can Phil the pins and remove deck and rear frame section if transporting in a small vehicle.

I use an electric motor and also Honda 2hp gas depending on local regulations. I mostly use the gas out board when I use my larger toons(1018) even though 816 float fine.

I found the gas is less weight than a trolley and battery setup.
[Image: 1cea5f71.jpg]
[Image: 54cc2314.jpg]
[Image: e59992d2.jpg]
[Image: 491abae6.jpg]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Nice work on the mods...and welcome to the site.

Some of the pics posted a long time ago have been lost when the original poster changed linking websites or photobuckets. But...ta daaaa...I managed to save some of them...and some links.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=325295;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to one such picture post.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=258631;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]HERE IS ANOTHER[/url]

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for reposting the pics.
I am brain storming a foldable mount for my wheel assembly ... I will post a pic when completed. Perhaps someone will chime in with one of their time tested designs as I may be over thinking something that could be quit simple. As with my rear deck... Simple and sure adds storage area.

Regards. Dave
[signature]
Pattern simply made with a piece of cardboard
Sorry for the poor pics!

20" deep
47" wide
Inside measurements

[Image: C89D824E-B48A-45A5-A91A-FC08734359E6-395...DB17B8.jpg]
PLUS 1 1/2 folded lip around edges

I left gap at rear corners for water to run off.
Front corners are notched to fit around bar and still be able to use frame pins. Mine required 7" deep by 4" wide
[Image: 75ADF93A-BC6F-4D01-84CE-C26DAD4DF2C8-395...1B79FA.jpg]
Motor mount 7" wide 5" high
Height may vary if using gas due to shaft length ... Electric won't matter given the shaft adjustments on most trollers.
[signature]
I might have just what you looking for. I have a pontoon wheel package available. I will need a little more information from you to see if it would fit.
If interested send me a message with the distance between the pontoons and the tube diameter.
Looking at the motor mount you built I bet you can make this work.
Ron 360-757-8171
[signature]
PM sent
[signature]
Very nice work.

Do you have your gas motor push you or turn it to pull you? With the rockers on your pontoons, do you pop wheelies???? [laugh] [laugh] [shocked]
[signature]
I push, with the right angle and depth the boat planes very well and just off idle moves you along at a very nice pace. A quart of fuel last a long time. Of course, either gas or electric can spin you in a circle before you know it when to much throttle is used. Takes a little getting used to compared to turning a 14' Jon boat .
[signature]
Here's one I made from an old trolling motor shaft and mount with a childs front bicycle wheel and frame.

[inline "PICT0001 (Small).JPG"]

[inline "PICT0002 (Small).JPG"]
[signature]
Keep an eye on your frame. I had a frame failure using a gas motor. I don't know how your motor mount and fame is joined but Just be careful. Ron
[signature]
Your frame should be fine and great you didn't try to fabricate the frame with welds or holes as the metal is just too thin for that. The deck is the way to go in my opinion. I have been using one for several years.Nice thing is you can go as big or as small as you want with the deck.
Here is an idea for a wheel:
http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/Images/wheelalt.jpg
Possibly achieved with the front wheel from a childs bike or trike

And seeing how you have a welder access, all you need to do is weld a 2" to 4" piece of pipe to the front side of your deck. Here is the pipe welded to a frame, but your deck looks secure and this won't effect the deck where welding on that frame might.

[Image: IMG_1114-1.jpg]
[Image: product_reviews20091221_clip_image050_zpsaca88ab3.jpg]
[signature]
Flygoddes excellent idea with the 'pipe'
Not sure why that mount didn't occur me.

I have been over thinking the mounting options for a kids bike wheel!

I agree , I'm not overly worried about frame damage since the deck spreads the load/torque over a wide area. And the frame has not been drilled, small u-bolts where used for attachment.

Thanks... Keep the ideas coming guys
[signature]
Good luck. I don't wish to get into an argument with you or FG. I am just saying as a guy that has put a outboard on and had a frame failure look out.

Your deck is mounted on top of the existing rear deck frame right?. I might be mistaken because I can't tell but I do have two boats like yours. Your rear deck is attached to the main frame by sliding the tubing into the main frame and pinning it, is that correct? That is how my Creek Co is. If that is the case all I can say is be careful and keep inspecting the frame. The spot I would be watching is this spot but on the back not the front. I could not find a picture I already had of my boats that showed the spot well.

[Image: toon_zps42d802b1.jpg]

As the power of the motor starts to build the pontoons are shoved down. When that happens the frame pieces that roll over the pontoons just above the joints I marked will push the pontoons out and away. This will cause the joint I marked to flex. This flexing will cause the metal to work just like a wire that is bent many times. It will harden and break. Now mine that failed was a Outcast frame. But the outcast frame is much larger tubing than the Creek Co.

Like I said before I am not going to argue and fight over this. I know FG has mounted a gas motor on toons but I will bet they were not this style of frame and mounted this way. You can take this for what it is worth but I would NOT use this pontoon with the mount you have. It will break your frame. Ron

[Image: Broken1.jpg]
[signature]
No argument Ron. You broke your frame on your OUTCAST pontoon.
You are the expert here on broke frames
Isn't a 2 hp gas equal to like a 50 or 55 lb thrust electric? It is a very small gas motor.

I agree, everyone should check welds on frames before each use as they can break with or without a motor.
I take it the O.P has used this gas motor more than once though.
[signature]
Thank you Ron for your concern.

I will watch the areas you have taken the time to identify and it is greatly appreciated.

I assure you I seldom throttle much over idle since there is no need for speed when I am afloat. Used primarily to adjust course crossing to opposite side of river in faster water or to shore to take out when the day is done.

ODC does offer a mount for adding a electric trolling motor and battery but when I scaled and compared total weight I found the Honda 2hp to be lighter. Even though I believe your concerns are focused on the torque that is added, and I agree. As stated I chose mounting options that did not require drilling the frame as to not (hopefully) compromise the intended strength .

Again thanks for the constructive reply...

Regards Dave
[signature]