Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
motor - boat setup
[crazy] i have a 14 ft. open.. v bottom, aluminum, boat.. circa late 50's.. early 60's.. it is all-welded construction.. solid.. very well made.. i have been using a 6hp motor... i bought a used, short shaft, 15 hp motor.. does anyone know, if this motor can be used on the boat? safely.. any help, will be appreciated..

Hey there m_t_creel,

Sorry I can't answer your question. But..... I can welcome you to BFT and you'll note there are a number of other boards on our site that may be able to link you up with someone.

Again, welcome

JapanRon
[signature]
thanks ron.. for your response & invite.. i scanned thru BFT, to find an appropriate place, for my question.. settled on "freshwater fishing" .. any help/guidance, will be appreciated.. i would like to see, more articles on walleyes, in the midwest.. !!
[signature]
Hey there m_t_creel, I would also like to give you a warm welcome back to the BFT message forums. We do have a board that deals with boats if you would like to check it out. On this link.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=70"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=70[/url];

I hope that helps you.
[signature]
thanks.. tube.. for your welcome & invite, also.. and for the web address.. i think bft, is a good place, to shop.. to visit.. share ideas and information.. etc.. the boat was manufactured by MASTER CRAFT. CO... i sent 2 e-mails, to the compnay.. no replies.. !! either, the staff is too young or, didn't want to do any research.. ! hopefully, someone will provide some information/help..
[signature]
We have alot of users on the Utah board as well. Many of them have boats and may be able to answer your question. I personally don't have boat so I can't give you an honest answer based on experience. But if there is any other way that I can help you, even through referral, then I will.

Have a good one and good luck in your info search.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]m_t_creel first let me welcome you to the Big Fish community. Sound like you have been looking around to check things out. If you every need some help just ask.

Now as to your question, It would depend on how solid the back of the boat is made. Some aluminum boats have a board on the back to support the motor and some don’t. This is important, because the board is there to take the flex out of the aluminum. You can add a board there, if it does not have one. As to being safe, If it has a board on the back it should be ok. I would not give it a lot of throttle on take off, because this is when the most force is on the back of the boat. After it planes off you can increase the throttle more. Also, I would not suggest to run the boat with full throttle. So I think it will be ok to put it on the boat. Just take off slow and see how the boat handles. I have an aluminum boat that is 12 foot V bow and I have had a 18 hp on that. It will really fly, so fast sometimes it scared me.[/size][/font]
[signature]
thanks byr.. for your input.. suggestions.. appreciated.. there is a backing board on the stern.. where i have mounted my 6 hp motor.. the board seems to be solid.. no cracks, etc..

18 hp on a 12 ft- er.. !! i can see, the excitement, it would create! like a mortorized water ski.. i should be okay, then..
[signature]
Sounds like that would work on an older boat with welds.I had a newer Lowe with rivets and my 8hp started to crack the transom. Had to reinforce with stainless steel across the back corners.That 14ft. did have a max of 15hp. Sold it for a Lund 14.4, this is a boat I can trust. tight lines
[signature]
thanks gdn, for your input. all the info, i have received, has been good & appreciated. even though, my boat has some whiskers on it, i wouldn't part with it.. there are no flaws.. i believe the welded construction, is a big plus! at least in the midwest, the name lund meant excellant quality.
[signature]
i'de really think about putting a large powerplant like that on a 12' boat .

weight is one concern , the added stress from thrust is another . welded or not .

most boats at that period of manufacturing were made to handle up to 10 h.p.

i would seriousley concider doing a little bit more investigating into the boat . writting the manufactures e.v.p. and telling him of your phone conversation with the less than helpfull represenative should get you some tlc . federal law requires that they provide this information .

i'de rather read your fishing reports than an obituary . stay safe !
[signature]
look on your boat for the inspection plate.

this plate will give you person limits, weight limits. note that person limit may vary to weight limits. this limit is also dose not include the weight of the motor, so that will reduce the weight you may have in the boat.

using an over sized modor can actualy flip the boat.
[signature]
if the boat is rated for 4 men, the avarage is 180 pounds. I would say that 3 men and a 150 pound 15 horse motor is just about right.... that is if you have one of the older motors that weigh a ton....

sounds like you have a deap V style boat. I had one with that ratting, it is a vary stable boat....
[signature]