Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
umbrella rigs
Anyone used on? I picked one up for the heck of it, I was told only 2 lures per rig.and to just put willow or colorado blades on the rest. Hopefully in the next.week or two I'll be able to hit the lake.

One question can I troll an umbrella rig and another rod or is there a limit to the number of lures I can run At a time.
[signature]
I have picked up two from Bass pro for use at the lake. I just used lures (swim shad) on all the legs on the larger one. I didnt know about the regs....The only issue i had with it was the shad were too heavy and after every cast i had to spread the arm back out.

It was fun...for about 10 minutes. I cast it into a boil and got a triple hook up but on the way to the boat i lost the whole rig, probably a gil cut the line.

If you put anything with weight on it you will need a heavy rod and min of 15 lb test line. Good for jigging, just make sure that what ever you attach to it is near the size of the bait fish in the water.
[signature]
hah triple hookup thats awesome! yea ill prob troll it behind a trolling rod im hooking up with some braid. They just look interesting and hopefully itll help me connect with a few more.
[signature]
65lb braid and a 9 foot med trolling rod/line counting reel works great.

You can't go too fast with one of those umbrella rigs. Due to the thin wire and being designed as a casting rig the arms will pull in trolling 2.5-3mph. 2mph and using swimbaits is a good compromise.
[signature]
i typically only have a 2 arm power motor and its not in the best shape right now lol. Im running them behind a kayak Smile i wish i had a boat id be on the lake every day.

When you rig them do you run 2 lures and just flashers or blades on the others?
[signature]
This is how i had mine rigged. It was a little heavy for casting but i was using a 10ft rod with 35 lb test so i would pitch that thing a mile. The swim action is great on these if you put the right lures on there, anything with a good tail will do. Slow troll is good and if you find a school this is a good jig. Heavy to get down quick and big enough to get some attention.

[inline 20120915_185509.jpg]
[signature]
Blades on the other 3 arms. BPS has a whole bunch of different blades cheaply priced. Can't go wrong with Willow Leaf blades for our super clear water imo. They will throw off the most light. While the Colorado and Indiana are more applicable to making noise/vibration and better off in stained water. If one wanted to experiment more with blades I would go with the Indiana blade to play with over a Colorado. It is a hybrid compromise between the other two.
[signature]
I think wolfs4evr knows entirely too much about fishing lol. Just kidding man, you make me a better person by reading your posts. [angelic]
[signature]
One can afford to go fishing only so often so the rest of my time is spent reading and researching out of the lack of anything else cheaper to pass time [cool]

Of course what I have learned from reading/researching is theoretical till proven. Practical, those little fish kick my azz on Lake Mead.
[signature]
Also if anyone is currious why I use 65lb it is all about the line counting reel. You have to use a diameter of line equal to the rating on the reel otherwise the counter will be off. My Okuma line counting reels are rated for a line between .35mm and .42mm. Or 14-20lb mono. I don't care for mono nor the cost of that much Fluorocarbon so braid is a no brainer for the main line. 65lb braid is ~ .40mm thick. Right in the middle of the reel ratings. I can pull off 200 feet of line walking down the street and the tape measure and line counter will both say 200 using 65lb braid. Plus this braid should last me years and years and years of use. Especially as much trolling as I do. (Not much...)

Trolling a umbrella I connect direct to the 65lb line. (I have a 80-85lb rated swivel on each rod, tied on good and then the knot super glued.) If I am trolling a crank or single swimbait then I connect a 5-6 foot leader of Fluorocarbon.

Casting a Umbrella on a normal rod I won't use under 65lb either. One birds nest with anything less will allow your Umbrella to sore to the other side of the lake.. I know this to be a fact. lol 30lb braid way to light to handle a hard cast plus a birds nest. Thus I don't cast Umbrella rigs anymore. I hate tying up one of my rods with 65lb braid for one specific use. Plus I really don't like casting those suckers. Way too much work and not as fun.
[signature]
thanks for all the tips, i actually just got an email back from the game warden captain regarding the extra places on the rig and what we can use. email is copied below and i can send a copy to anyone if they want to print out the real email, just PM me your email.

Mr. XXXXXX,

You may only have two hooked lures per rig. You may use additional swimbait/lures so long as there are no hooks attached thereto. We consider the hookless lures as attractants.

You may run one rig per pole. If you have a two pole stamp then you can have two poles and one rig per pole, with a sum total of two rigs.

If you have an more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Kristy Knight
Game Warden Captain
1100 Valley Road Reno NV 89512
[url "mailto:kknight@ndow.org"]kknight@ndow.org[/url]
[url "tel:775-688-1547"]775-688-1547[/url]
[signature]
Yeah, I spoke to Ivy Santee from the Vegas office, and she said the same - 2 hooked baits per umbrella rig. This applies to Mead AND Mohave.
[signature]
[quote TheWhizzle]Yeah, I spoke to Ivy Santee from the Vegas office, and she said the same - 2 hooked baits per umbrella rig. This applies to Mead AND Mohave.[/quote]

Nice, yea I just wanted to clarify cause when I bought the rig the guy at bass pro (which is why I verified) said only 2 lures per rig any more and its illegal even if it has no hooks because so only use blades.
[signature]