Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake commins pike fishing?
Has anyone ever had any luck up at lake commins for pike,I was thinking bringing the swimbait rods and fish them like muskie.Or maybe some lighter tackle.
[signature]
I usually head up to comins lake a few times each summer. The quality of pike aren't as good they used to be but you can still catch plenty of them. This last summer the pike I caught probably averaged 18-24" with the action being non stop in the right conditions. There are 20+ pound fish in the lake but they are few and far between. They will bite pretty much anything with flash but the lake can get pretty overgrown with vegetation especially late in the year, so sometimes weedless presentations will save you some frustration. I have used everything from swimbaits, spinnerbaits, to lipless crankbaits to catch them. Typically I will use a medium heavy baitcasting rod with 20-30lb braid. You will lose some lures if the pike swallows the lure or hits the line. Some people use steel leaders but I'm not a fan, I just stick to cheaper lures. The lake also has a good population of 2-3lb largemouth bass which is the reason I like to go there. Topwater and spinnerbaits work great for them in the summer through fall.
[signature]
Pike fishing is AWESOME up there. Will catch a ton of small ones. We troll for them. Usually go through 80 bucks in lures after 1 trip. The pike really tear them up
[signature]