Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ipilot question
Hello I am curious what your opinions are on the ipilot? I have read before that it is the way to go. I currently have a minnkota powerdrive V2 digital trolling motor already I would just have to buy the $449 one and add it to the top. I currently have the co pilot on there but I think I would really like the gps features especially the anchor function.

Please tell me your reviews and what if you think its worth the money. I am especially curious how the anchor function works in wind.

Thanks
-Ryan
[signature]
Here's what my latest broken-down pos Terrova/I-pilot looks like! They work, when they work. Otherwise, they don't. I've replaced the steering motor twice. The circuit board once. I'm on my third remote control. Sometimes they get a mind of their own and just take off on you, or stop. But they work when they're working.

Power Drives never die. If you add the i-pilot head to your motor, I'd get yourself an extra remote control to carry with you. Steering motor should be fine. Circuit board? Not sure, as I haven't converted either of my two Power Drives. I use them like they came, and they always work.

The more features TM's have, the more there is to go wrong. I use mine 125 days a year, so that's hard use, but the older ones are still going strong.

[inline IMGP1240.JPG]

[inline IMGP1234.JPG]
[signature]
Thank you. yea 125 days of use is ALOT. I probably haven't gotten that much use in 3 years. heck probably even 5 years.

I kinda laughed when you said it took off on you. I can picture that. I like to stand on the edge of my boat so I would probably be going for a swim if it happened suddenly. This was exactly the kind of info I was looking for.Thank you...so over all do you still recommend it?

Anyone else with issues like his?
[signature]
Unless you really need some feature that I-pilot would give you, I'd say don't mess with your reliable Power Drive by replacing the head and circuit board/cap with the i-pilot kit. I haven't done that to either of my Power Drives, and I won't either. I actually need to sell one of them now to pay for the parts I had to buy for one of the Terrovas. (out of warranty now, of course). Trolling motors are the mainstay of my lake fishing, so I always have to have two or three working ones on hand for when one goes down. One to use, one for back-up, and one to back-up the back-up! Same with remote controls. I have 3 on the boat. Ahhh, the joys of Minn Kota ownership! They're the lesser of all the evils though.
[signature]
Wow thats alot of trollers? Do you store yours out doors? covered un covered? Just wondering if that might be an issue. Mine has its own permanent stall in our barn. So it never gets weather.
[signature]
My boat is stored every night in a drive-thru garage attached to my house. There's heat lamps for winter. I have a lot of motors because I can't ever be without one working, and I know Minn Kotas pretty well from repairing them (personal) for the past 25 years. My extras are stored in my cool, dry basement. I did run Motorguides for about 5 or 6 years back in the early 90's, but they were worse, and harder to fix.

There's probably not many people in the country that put more hours on a remote-controlled trolling motor than me. Mine are "ON" anytime I'm fishing, not just a surge or on-off tap here and there. The remote never leaves my hand. They are built to sell, and to build a "good" one, they'd cost twice or three times what they do, and sales would plummet. Lots of plastic, poor connections (that can be improved with heat shrink), cheap motors for electronic steering, poorly sealed lower units, and low-end Korean circuit boards. That's pretty much what makes up a trolling motor. But, we all need 'em!! The shafts are strong. The props are tough. The removable mounts are easy to operate.

If you think 400-some dollars is worth having a spot lock and several different auto-pilot features, just know its not flawless. With a foot pedal, remote control, and a little effort, its not too hard to control a boat though.

As for "yours", yes, its a Power Drive, and they pretty much keep going, and going, and going. No frills! Put an i-pilot on it, and, well, . . . let us know in a year! I'm sure you'd enjoy it while it was working. I do like mine, when the **&&%%## works.
[signature]
Thank you sir I will definitely take this into consideration. $400 is alot of money and I would hate for it to not work. I will keep researching. And weigh my options. My anchor is a pain in the rear to get to as the design of my boat isn't necessarily the perfect design for what type of fishing I do. My son and permanent fishing buddy is special needs. When he is fishing I don't normally get alot of time to have lines in as I am always untangling, restringing, and of course unhooking fish for him. I thought it would be a great feature to push the button and hold my position while I untangle his line which have tested my patience many times. I have found myself fairly close to shore or something sometimes just because I get so into it.

Once again Thank you for your advice. I had read earlier it was worth its weight in gold and the best thing you could get for your boat. With that report I was getting it no matter what. But if they full of gremlins or unreliable then I will just have to learn to pay more attention....

Thank you
[signature]
I really like my I-pilot we do have a terrova so we have the pedal and the remote. Which you can not do on your v2. Have not had a problem yet. I go out almost every weekend and a few Powell trips a year so not super heavy use but more then your average person. When we are on the water we use the crap out of it. When it gets windy and its a steady windy coming from the same direction it works great don't need to worry about any anchor ropes or anchor and the dirt and sand when you put it way. When the wind starts to change directions you need to watch the head unit because it will keep turning in the same direction and the cable will run around the head unit. I'm super happy I got it. Love using the foot pedal sometimes and the remote at other times. That's the hard thing about the v2 is you can only have one or the other. Terrova you can have both at the same time.
[signature]
I think you should buy one and then resell it to me really cheap in a month or so after you purchase it.[Wink] I am also upgrading mine this year, just hoping to find a unit on sale.
[signature]
Hahah deal....wait what?

I've been watching here and ksl for a year and haven't seen one for sale yet. So I'm assuming those that have them love them. It was the top of my priority list. But after Tarponjims comments its slid down a little. I still would like to get one but there's some other things I could spend my money on first. I spun a bearing in the race car so I have to fix that first. Then we will see where I'm at. I need to get rid of that car anyways. It's taken up some of my fishing time.

Thanks again for your responses.
[signature]
I have one on my 22' center console and I can't imagine fishing with out it. The only problem I have ever had was when a friend crashed into the dock and broke the whole unit. Took it to bountiful and they repaired it. Incredible piece of technology. I understand there are now improved versions that take chips and will do all kind of remarkable things. The anchor function is only one of many, many useful features. Good luck
[signature]
I finally bought one about a month ago bs'd got 2 trips out of it before I winterized my boat. I am blown away by how awesome it is. I like the advanced auto pilot vas the anchor. I used to just have the copilot ave I would turn off course and the get a tangle or something and next thing I know I'm out there doing circles. With this I can turn a little and it will turn just as long as I hold it then straighten out. How have I lived my life with out this? Haha.

Ps minnkota co pilot for sale. Haha. I can't wait for spring !!!!
[signature]