Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New rack that accepts my Fishin Buddy
[fishon]
Rather than continue on with the other thread, I thought I would make a new one. My design is new so why not....

So some of you saw my first mod to my rod rack that accommodated my Fishin' Buddy 120. Well, I found out after using it a couple of times that the 45° tubes just didn't work for me because I do a lot of "up close and personal" fishing around the tullies.

I knew that I wanted to make a simple rack with 90° tubes but I also wanted it to accommodate my FB still. After seeing another member's rod rack were he had used the original "cup" that came with the clamp, something clicked...why not make it so I can use the mounting "cup" that came on the clamp like he did but use it with ABS! The only problem was that the cup doesn't quite fit into a 2" piece of ABS....nothing a heat gun and a little patience can't take care of!

I cut a small piece of 2", heated it with the heat gun just to the point that it was pliable and then quickly put the "cup" in it and placed the entire thing in the freezer for a minute. I then drilled a 3/8" hole through the pipe for insurance and wah lah, a custom mount for my FB that I can remove and still use with the clamp!

[Image: 0E0F9467-45C1-4267-9F33-EE53613D86E9-132...AA0464.jpg]

[Image: 62BF90B3-FB13-49EC-84C7-2D03CE101175-132...F4A0D3.jpg]

As you can see in this picture, I "kicked" the mount for the FB out just a little so as to avoid any interference with my fins or the tube.

[Image: 77BF9EF4-5625-4ED1-990A-0F0BA0B759C0-132...6AC49A.jpg]

Just thought I would share in case some of you might be looking for a new idea...
[signature]
Great Idea.
[signature]
Nice work on the FB and mounting idea. The heating technique opens up a number of possibilities. I'm going to tuck this into a corner of my brain for future retrieval some day - assuming I don't lose those particular brain cells due to advancing age, blows to the head or certain carbonated beverages.
[signature]
Nice rack. I like the idea.[cool]
[signature]